gday from australia

davexs650

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
gday fellas,dave here from the gold coast in australia,i dont have a 650 yet only because they are bloody expensive here so am hoping to find one eventually,,i do have a cb550 four ive rebuilt,im a mechanic/truck driver and am well equipped for most jobs,a guy i know just found a 76 for a grand that runs but needs tlc and his just flipping it for 3000!have a look on aussie ebay at the stupid prices of these things.

welcome aboard dave,keep looking and you will find one for the right price.but your right about the prices,they look at ebay with out realising a lot of them are at asking price only and dont actualy sell or attract a bid,had a bloke ask me for a price opinon the other day on a 79 model with unfinished home made wiring,compleate but nowhere near original, rusty exhaust bald tyres etc etc who then got upset when i wouldnt agree it was worth 5-5 1/2 thou.good luck with the hunt because they are out there and worth the effort

Welcome davexs650 - and yes, looks like you should look in the bargain basement. So, XS650s have taken off in Australia, or are they just rare?

Anlaf

gday anlaf,i wouldnt say rare,not as many as say cb750 fours though,theyve always been popular here,i like the early cb450 twin aswell,they command high prices for good ones,they have frailties i dont like though.

I have never visited Australia, but at I guess I would imagine you should be prepared to go a few miles to pick one up.

According to my School Altas Australia is not that big - it takes up the whole of page 36, and England is on pages 3 and 4, so it shouldn't be too bad nipping from say the village of Sydney to, where now? ah! yes, Darwin. Return journey couple of hours including lunch, back home in time for tea.

Anlaf

ha!you wish,youd love it here,especially in the gold coast hinterland where the riding is world class,i dont have to pass a stop sign or red light from my house when i ride,yeah you can travel to see bikes,when i was chasing down 500/550 fours i travelled to see rubbish and went home empty a lot of the time,i still have my 550 four,ive had it about seven years,it has boyer micro power and first oversize bore,new internal chains and head ports cleaned up and 4-1 yoshi pipe,sun alloy rims its a nice old bike,its a 500 with the 550 motor,they had a better clutch action mechanism and improved shift fork design.

Nice bike Davexs650 - I put the Boyer in, too, so easy and such a difference. I will never ever go back to points and my other XS650 (winter project) has just had the point removed and binned.

Anlaf

yeah ive had a few 500s,i ride the wheels of that,ive used the analouge and micro digital aswell,all good units,i had an intermmittent fail on an analouge and boyer were great,i simply emailed them a photo of the unit showing its manufacturing date and they shipped me a new one no charge without having to ship the old one back!

It's all digital now, or that's what everyone is buying.

I had a word with a friend who works for the local council, I told him Australia was short of traffic lights and stop signs - he says they'll send the old stuff over your way.

Anlaf

Good luck with the search, and let us know what you get. You never know, the old lady down the street might have a mint condition one in her shed.

Anlaf

Last edited:
yeah heaps dont sell i think flea?

not at the prices they see on aust e bay plus they dont want to realise the condition,time and money spent on some bikes that do sell. they just see xs650 and dollar signs.which is good means more will still be left in sheds for the next generation or when they lose intrest.(nice job on the 500)

Last edited:
I have never visited Australia, but at I guess I would imagine you should be prepared to go a few miles to pick one up.

According to my School Altas Australia is not that big - it takes up the whole of page 36, and England is on pages 3 and 4, so it shouldn't be too bad nipping from say the village of Sydney to, where now? ah! yes, Darwin. Return journey couple of hours including lunch, back home in time for tea.

Anlaf

I'm sure you are kidding. Australia is huge and England is tiny.

The whole UK (of which England is but a part) is less than 250,000 sq. mi. and Australia is over 2.94 million.

Back