Ground clearance problems

Tz250racer

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi,I have a 1974 Xs50.The bike for for racetrack use only.Not for a flat track but for vintage racing and track days.I have the Mikesxs performance system with both headers ends going right below the clutch cover and the short megaphone muffler.The ground clearance is my major problem when I go fast and lean in a turn.I started to grind the mounting 6mm bolt on the bottom of the Y fitting.when that one was totaly gone then the flat part of the lower header started to scrape the racetrack pavement.I have the gas rear shock on the bike.I made the rear shock harder to help the suspension not to sag so much with my weight on the bike.That helped a bit.I belive that the last resort would be to buy a different header and have one muffler on each side of the bike.This way I should have more ground clearance.What do you think about it?.Suggestions?..Thanks

Haven't tried the Mikes system but my old Predator 2 into 1 sounds similar and used to ground quite easily on right handers - nearly had me off a couple of times. Wore/hammered a big flat spot on the joint and was nearly worn through when I changed it for a 2 into 2 road setup (close to standard roadster exhaust). Much better ground clearance. 2 into 2 gives better options for muffler choice and can be angled upwards for more clearance if required by using 2 exhaust gaskets, but must be a bit heavier if you're looking at lap times...then again wiping out on a corner slows you down a bit...

Thanks for the replay.Mike has a couple of headers style but I got find out which one goes with the dual mufflers.

The old Jardine 2 into 1 header tucks up pretty darn tight. You need to drop the header to get at the sump pan though.

I could hang one on a bike and shoot a pic if you'd like.

I'm running a modified MAC 2-1 on my XS roadracer and was warned about grounding early on. With a little "persuasion", I was able to tuck it in a bit better, but the main thing I did that got me around clearance issues was raising the rear quite a bit. You can do this with longer shocks, or as I did, change the upper shock mount position. I raised the rear more to improve weight distribution - weight the front more - than for ground clearance, but it is working just great.

So, tell me what mods you've made to the bike, I'm always looking for new ideas. I have a post on here with a pretty detailed description of my build if you are curious.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1437

Attachments

• rearside.jpg
    rearside.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 142
  • RT Side.jpg
    RT Side.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 138
Mikesxs suggest me to a middle height pipe will solve the problem.This will involve some pipe fabrication.

That works well too. Check with Great Scott on this forum, he makes custom pipes, and we've chatted about just this thing. What kind of motor work you running?

Is a new Mikesxs big block new cylinder,Tm 34 carbs,head porting.This bike cost me a fortune so far but I love it.When I need to go fast I take my Tz250.I removed all the starter internal gear.You will be surprised how much they weight.Pm me your email and I will email you my Xs pics.

Back