Gunners- remove a ventilated rib ????

jetero41

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Any of you shotgunners know how to remove a ventilated rib from a shotgun barrel ???
Building a tactical Rem' 870 ( i'm with you Travis ) and do not want the rib, weight, dimnesions etc.

Also has anyone ever self drilled the recoil tamers ( i believe it was Magna-Port that drilled a series of stagered holes in each of the 2 upper barrel quadrants for recoil taming ). Seems like I could do this myself.

Thanks

Jetero,

First, the rib on that 870 barrel is soldered on. You could heat it up enough for it to come loose. If you get it that hot, you'll ruin the bluing though. Or you could grind it off. That leaves more work afterwards with polishing and then rebluing. Personally, I think I'd look for a smooth bore deer barrel on the secondary market. There's quite a few out thee as more guys go with rifled slug barrells. Check one of the better gun shows, or Gunbroker. That way, you already have a shorter barrel with no rib and rifle sights already.

And for the barrel porting. Sure you can drill holes in your barrel. Out at the end of the muzzle you'll not be having any safety issues. It will be tricky to do and make it look right though unless you have the right equipment. A milling machine with a radial indexing tool attached to the table works best. That way you can get the angle of the holes right on both sides of the barrel. If you don't have access to that a drill press with a good vise could work if you can eyeball it really close.

We don't even usually do this at our shop anymore, because Magnaport will do it for about a hundred bucks and the last one we sent to them to do we got back in about a week.
I'm all for doing it yourself. Go look at one of the Mossberg 500 barrells to get an idea of a drilled porting pattern than actually works pretty well. One last caution, porting your barrel will make it noticeably louder.

Have fun

Thanks for the input Archersix. Having verification of ones opinion is appreciated.
Condition of blueing is not a concern as the gun will eventually be painted.

Thanks again.

Magna-port doesn't drill holes. They use Electrical discharge Machining.
This is kinda like reverse welding under very controled conditions. Were welding adds metal EDM removes metal.
Drilling pushes a dent or ring of steel into the barrel. Then you have to grind/rebore that part of the barrel to remove the dent/rings of steel.
On rifled barrels Magna port can aline the inside of the port between the rifling so to minimize rough spots, cutting of rifling. They then can readjust the hole to come out to the out side inline with the barrel and alter the shape.
Leo

Jetero,

First, the rib on that 870 barrel is soldered on. You could heat it up enough for it to come loose. If you get it that hot, you'll ruin the bluing though. Or you could grind it off. That leaves more work afterwards with polishing and then rebluing. Personally, I think I'd look for a smooth bore deer barrel on the secondary market. There's quite a few out thee as more guys go with rifled slug barrells. Check one of the better gun shows, or Gunbroker. That way, you already have a shorter barrel with no rib and rifle sights already.

And for the barrel porting. Sure you can drill holes in your barrel. Out at the end of the muzzle you'll not be having any safety issues. It will be tricky to do and make it look right though unless you have the right equipment. A milling machine with a radial indexing tool attached to the table works best. That way you can get the angle of the holes right on both sides of the barrel. If you don't have access to that a drill press with a good vise could work if you can eyeball it really close.

We don't even usually do this at our shop anymore, because Magnaport will do it for about a hundred bucks and the last one we sent to them to do we got back in about a week.
I'm all for doing it yourself. Go look at one of the Mossberg 500 barrells to get an idea of a drilled porting pattern than actually works pretty well. One last caution, porting your barrel will make it noticeably louder.

Have fun

This. ^^^

Back