The Big Sue resto-mod thread

:agree: I enjoyed the shaft drive era as well.
I believe it was the manufacturing expenses that ended the common jap shaft drive and not the performance characteristics criticism.

Go GSPete ! What would be your ideal fairing to find?
I'd love to have another Hannigan Sport Tourer fairing XSE. They were originally built in Toronto (Hannigan had a big BMW bike dealership back in the 1960s-70-80s) - but they're out of production I think.

Oh well - Gretel ('83 BMW R100RS) has a great fairing and she's my long distance gal now.

What diameter and thickness range are the shims?
I don't know Gary - but I think I heard somewhere that they are the same diameter as Kawasaki Z1 shims and can be bought from an outfit called Z1.com which is a big purveyor of Z1 stuff these days.

I talked to the shop about shims for a Honda and the shop had a leave the old shim with some cash get the replacement
Policy
I did not change it since it was a big job and had tight OK clearances I believed they got tighter with wear but don't know

Is not 54 000 Km on the high ( danger ) side ? depending on Maintenance or am i Wrong again ?
With oil changes and warm up one thing -- But not all back then did that
Lets se what happens.

I don't know how well-maintained the bike was back in her operational days, but I will sort everything out now before getting her going again.

P

What diameter and thickness range are the shims?

https://www.z1enterprises.com/valve-shim-kit-295mm.html

described as fitting late 70's to mid 80's Zookies.

Valve Shim Kit - 29.5mm Diameter - 2.30mm-3.00mm - Pkg 20

• Color/Finish: Raw
  • Material: Steel
  • Fits: Suzuki Models (See Fitment Below)
  • Sizes Included:
    • 2 x 2.30mm
    • 2 x 2.40mm
    • 2 x 2.50mm
    • 2 x 2.55mm
    • 2 x 2.60mm
    • 2 x 2.70mm
    • 2 x 2.80mm
    • 2 x 2.85mm
    • 2 x 2.90mm
    • 2 x 3.00mm

https://www.z1enterprises.com/valve-shim-kit-295mm.html

described as fitting late 70's to mid 80's Zookies.

Valve Shim Kit - 29.5mm Diameter - 2.30mm-3.00mm - Pkg 20

• Color/Finish: Raw
  • Material: Steel
  • Fits: Suzuki Models (See Fitment Below)
  • Sizes Included:
    • 2 x 2.30mm
    • 2 x 2.40mm
    • 2 x 2.50mm
    • 2 x 2.55mm
    • 2 x 2.60mm
    • 2 x 2.70mm
    • 2 x 2.80mm
    • 2 x 2.85mm
    • 2 x 2.90mm
    • 2 x 3.00mm

Thanks Gary - the Baron of Baraboo!

Man - those guys have a lotta stuff!

Last edited:
I have 50 or so shims for the Z1 which measures 29mm (yamaha used the 29mm also) and a few from the Suzuki at 29.5. I had to buy several to get the clearances correct. Lets see I also have small shims for the FJR and some form the Vulcan 900. Cant wait till I need to buy the shims used on the BMW. They are a weird round shaped thing with a flat surface where the round part sits in a bowl shaped rocker.

Maybe I should sell them all and retire

I was thinking more about grinding shims to size. On my Supra, it uses buckets and shims (assume bikes are the same?). If one side of the shim is ground and the ground side is placed in the bucket face down, then the original, factory hardened surface would ride on the cam. Perhaps not the best way, but I can’t see it doing much harm, if any. I know the shims can rotate in the buckets but not at such a speed that wear would be a concern. If the shims are in fact hardened all the way through, that shouldn’t be an issue. Best way for sure is replacement with the proper thickness.

I have 50 or so shims for the Z1 which measures 29mm (yamaha used the 29mm also) and a few from the Suzuki at 29.5. I had to buy several to get the clearances correct. Lets see I also have small shims for the FJR and some form the Vulcan 900. Cant wait till I need to buy the shims used on the BMW. They are a weird round shaped thing with a flat surface where the round part sits in a bowl shaped rocker.

Maybe I should sell them all and retire
I will try to get in there and make some measurements ASAP and I will get to you with any sizes I need.

Do you have a list of the Suzuki shims in your little hoard?

Pete

I was thinking more about grinding shims to size. On my Supra, it uses buckets and shims (assume bikes are the same?). If one side of the shim is ground and the ground side is placed in the bucket face down, then the original, factory hardened surface would ride on the cam. Perhaps not the best way, but I can’t see it doing much harm, if any. I know the shims can rotate in the buckets but not at such a speed that wear would be a concern. If the shims are in fact hardened all the way through, that shouldn’t be an issue. Best way for sure is replacement with the proper thickness.

That is the point the chap on the GS Resources forum was making - since they are through-hardened, whats the difference?

Love the Suzuki GS series. They have a unique sound. It's a shame you don't see that many of them around anymore.
When I do the valves in my Kawasaki's I put the sizes and gaps in a spreadsheet which calculates the correct shim to use. That way you can see what sizes you need and what shims you can swap to another. Pretty simple really...

Last edited:
Well grinding in a shop can have water cooling and fine stones
Getting both sides parallel
Perhaps polished also to get smooth. Surface not wear on the the other part.
A coarse stone can induce scratches in the surface that is detrimental for fatigue life fex in Welded Constructions
Without the water it can heat up the surface so the Hardness gets Annealed ( is it the right word ? )
What I have seen abut the prices for shims My nerves are to weak not buying the proper ones.
I don't know the hardness on these but They are likely as hard as possible.
Say you only need a few .not much to save ,My nerves to weak
I would loose sleep on it But maybe possible ..what if not

I don't know Gary - but I think I heard somewhere that they are the same diameter as Kawasaki Z1 shims and can be bought from an outfit called Z1.com which is a big purveyor of Z1 stuff these days.
I heard that years ago, turns out it's not exactly true. There's 0.5mm difference, iirc. A Kwak shim will fit, but increases the chances of being spat out at high revs.

I have 1 of the following 240,270,260,280,265,and (2) 250. I would not use the Kawi 29mm shims or grind them either. Hmm? $5.00 per shim or new cams/head:thumbsdown:
Kawasaki is 29mm, I have dozens of z1 shims and yet I bought the correct ones at 29.5mm.

I would assume the shims are ground then hardened
I would think grinding a hardened shim may create stresses in that shim who knows.

Last edited:
I have 1 of the following 240,270,260,280,265,and (2) 250. I would not use the Kawi 29mm shims or grind them either. Hmm? $5.00 per shim or new cams/head:thumbsdown:
Kawasaki is 29mm, I have dozens of z1 shims and yet I bought the correct ones at 29.5mm.

I would assume the shims are ground then hardened
I would think grinding a hardened shim may create stresses in that shim who knows.
Maybe you are right there Googled how they look and they seems greyish black on the surface
As i Remember it can look so if Oil hardened .
If ground after hardening maybe more shiny metal

I agree for the bike I’d buy new, but in the case of my 24 valve car engine, buying all new shims would have cost me $650. Fortunately I had a sizeable inventory of shims and was able to reuse most of what was needed.
Perhaps people have ground shims down but sounds like false economy to me if factory shims are readily available.

Liking this 850 shaftie.

Back