Happy Holidays: Silent Night

TeeCat

One-Mik Wonder
Reaction score
Hi, all...

Last year, right before the Holidays, I had been working on learning a Martin Tallstrom arrangement of Silent Night. I had made what I felt was a fairly successful pass at it for the peeps on my support forum, and thought I might share it here as well this year.

Like very few other arrangements of Tallstrom's, it's not technically difficult, really, and therefore is within my capabilities, but it's very hard to make it sound really good. I like his arrangement a lot, but truth be told, I confined his "tapping", which simulates a drum, to the middle - between the verses - and added my own intro and outro; it's essentially an arpeggiation of a beautiful chord shape that's based on the notes of the melody.

I'm not religious, but I love this lovely melody, which is essentially a lullaby, and I wanted to convey that feel with my self-taught (self-teaching?), ever struggling digits. The piece is recorded on an all-mahogany guitar that is physically very small, but with a lovely, full voice, in order to hopefully enhance the mood of this wonderful, very, very old composition.

A bit of info:

Guitar: Guild (GAD)M-20 6-string acoustic
Tuning: Open D
Strings: Thomastik-Infeld KF110S Soft Steel
Capo: First fret

So... Happy Holidays to all of you here, and to all our guests. Headphones please. I hope you enjoy Silent Night.

Happy Holidays to all!

TC

Last edited:
Very nice TeeCat. I find that song a sweet lullaby and very soothing.
It's one of my favorites. You should be quite proud of your accomplishment in playing it.

I've been avoiding Christmas music like the plague but made an exception for you, verry verry nice.

Back