Headlight confusion

Pat D

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
OK- so I've got a '74, but as I'm working through it I'm starting to think this bike was built from many donor bikes. That's fine, they are all pretty similar, just makes wiring a stocker a bit more challenging. Now- here is the question on the headlight. The bike had a 6 1/2" opening bucket on it when I got it, with no bulb. Seller tossed in another chrome bucket and bulb, which I paid little attention to 'til now. I also acquired along the way another bucket almost identical to the chrome one, but painted. Now- I just spent a lot of effort repainting the 6 1/2" opening bucket, and the ears on my bike fit it, but- I can't seem to locate a sealed beam bulb in that size. The 2 similar buckets measure almost 8" across the opening. Now- the small bucket is stamped "Yamaha YHA-12C SAE M72". This should mean the bucket is from a '72 Yamaha something. Anybody have a clue what bulb fits it, and where to find one? 7" ain't gonna do it. I'm going to need a trim ring for it also. What have I got? Thanks! Pics below.

Attachments

• IMG_0058.jpg
    IMG_0058.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0059.jpg
    IMG_0059.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0060.jpg
    IMG_0060.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
So after scouring Ebay images of Yamaha headlight buckets, it seems my small bucket came from an RD350, early to mid 70's. I like the small look, but still having trouble finding a sealed beam unit to fit it, so feel free to shout out any sources for vintage non 7" sealed beam motorcycle headlights. I'm not sure if it wants a 5 3/4" or a 6 3/8" unit. Thanks!

Back