mysterious chrome XS2 headlights

DogBunny

Motorcychologist
Top Contributor
Reaction score
DSC09864.JPG

Not too long ago, I acquired a 1972 XS2 with VIN S650-109212. The headlight bucket and the headlight ears are chrome instead of the expected "Brilliant Red." That's them above, on the right and bottom (I also have the other chrome headlight ear).
The patina on these parts match the rest of the bike, and everything about them tells me they are original.
So, what's up with that? Has anyone else ever seen an early chrome headlight?
Further adding to the mystery is the headlight bucket on the left in the picture. I bought it on eBay a couple of years ago. It has zero signs of ever having been mounted, so I assume it is NOS, but I don't have the original packaging.

Untitled-1.jpg

Determined to waste even more time, I checked out my Yamaha color code reference PDF, to see if it would shed any light on this mystery. Above is what I found, overlaid on a 70- 73 headlight parts diagram. The color code for Chrome is "CM", which is not found on this or any other parts diagram.

I've also got an early bucket and ears in chrome. Badly pitted, so they're not worth anything... not even sure why I kept 'em.
Picked 'em up in a batch of XS parts from multiple years, so there's no way of knowing what they're off of. Strange. :umm:

1684250441556.png

1684250467337.png

Dunno what's going on there, but 256-84330-60-93 does come up with fitment for XS1-TX650 in chrome. Perhaps Yam accessory back in the day:shrug:
https://vintagedirtandtrail.com/product/yamaha-nosoemnew256-84330-60-93headlight-body-chrome-bulk15/
https://www.partzilla.com/product/yamaha/256-84330-60-93
Great find. Yes, I errored in my thread. The color code for chrome-plated is not "CM" as I wrote, but is 93. So, those appear to be good, legitimate, parts and part numbers.
I've also got an early bucket and ears in chrome. Badly pitted, so they're not worth anything... not even sure why I kept 'em.
Picked 'em up in a batch of XS parts from multiple years, so there's no way of knowing what they're off of. Strange. :umm:

View attachment 242990

View attachment 242991
Another great find. So, factory 70-73 bikes with chrome headlights seem to have a history.

Back