Helmet Bill Revved Up For Gov. Michigan

grepper

fiddle futzer
Reaction score
Got this Article today
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
MIRS BREAKING NEWS: Helmet Bill Revved Up For Gov. -- 12:01 p.m.
www.mirsnews.com/alert.php?alert_id=969
-----------------------
The Senate today sent Gov. Rick SNYDER the long-awaited bill allowing motorcyclists over 21 not to wear a helmet after lengthy debate on Democratic amendments.

Democrats won a measure to require riders to purchase more insurance coverage.

The vote to concur with the House substitute to SB 0291 sponsored by Sen. Phil PAVLOV (R-St. Clair) was 24-14.

Pavlov said the bill is intended to "offer choice and freedom" to riders and described it as a "fundamental freedom."

Sen. Mo HOOD III (D-Detroit) countered that the bill will mean $129 million in added economic costs to Michigan citizens. He said a U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) study shows that un-helmeted riders are 37 percent more likely to be hospitalized, need an ambulance, be impaired and need long-term care.

"This bill could come with a pricetag and potentially a toetag, too," he said.

As MIRS first reported Monday, Senate Majority Leader Randy RICHARDVILLE (R-Monroe) told the Governor that the upper chamber planned to take action this week, as riding season has arrived (See "Helmet Bill To Roar In This Week," 3/26/12).

Snyder this week declined to say if he would sign the bill (See "Gov. Won't Tip Hand On Helmet Bill," 3/27/12). The Governor had wanted the helmet bill tied into no-fault auto insurance reform (HB 4936) that has been mired in the House.

Members of the American Bikers Aiming Toward Education (ABATE), who support the bill, were up in the gallery.

Democrats had three amendments shot down.

Hood initially won an amendment 22-15 that would up the mandatory insurance coverage rider from $20,000 to $100,000 to "make this legislation reasonable for non-motorcyclists in Michigan."

Sen. Roger KAHN (R-Saginaw) agreed, arguing that Michigan can expect the "cost of medicine to go up and deaths to go up," as well as the shifting of costs for riders' health care to the rest of citizens in the state.

Pavlov said costs have remained stable in other states without helmet laws.

The vote was postponed over Democratic objections and reconsidered. Hood noted that no changes have been made so he questioned why it would be taken up again. The second vote was 19-18 and it passed again.

The vote was then reconsidered a third time after some delay. The third vote was 18-19, so it finally failed.

Sen. Tom CASPERSON (R-Escanaba) argued the amendment was designed to "kill the bill itself" because people in his district have found they couldn't find insurance meeting the stipulation.

Hood said he wasn't "playing games" by putting an amendment on to kill the bill.

"That hurts me to hear that," he said. "That is not the attempt of this legislation . . . I'm trying to make the bill better."

Kahn said that 90 percent of Michiganders want the law to remain as is. He put articles on senators' desks on motorcycle injuries.

"The Hood amendment is the least we can do," he declared.

Sen. Joe HUNE (R-Hamburg) said this amendment showed the need to reform Michigan's no-fault law because there are no cost controls.

"I tell ya, the system we have in place is extremely expensive because of the measures the Legislature has enacted," he said.

But he said the amendment "deserves rejection" until no-fault is changed.

Sen. Virgil SMITH (D-Detroit) said he backed the amendment. But he said that at the end of the day, $100,000 isn't going to do a lot if "someone's brains are splattered on the ground" after a motorcycle crash.

Hood lost an amendment 26-11 that would make it a second offense for not wearing a helmet. He said it's nearly impossible to discern the age of a motorcyclist and would make sure there was "no discrimination by look, by dress, by color" by police officers.

Sen. Vince GREGORY (D-Southfield) lost an amendment that the Secretary of State would conduct a study on motorcycle injuries and the helmet law would have a four-year sunset. The vote was 17-20.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Just passing along the info to my fellow Mitten Riders. I'm not intending to start a debate here, the subject has been beat to death.

BTW: If the law passes, I'm still wearing my Helmet. I really don't like to be hit in the face by an 80mph June-bug, plus my Mom is a Nurse, she hates that I ride.

I will still wear my helmet if it passes too. I hope my insurance rates aren't raised because of it. I don't think that would be fair to motorcyclists because a few don't care about their safety and want to stick it to the man. But, a few nurses I have talked to say your helmet won't really save your life anyway. Unless you are at low speed or just lucky. I feel safer with it anyhow.

To take it a step further I wonder if this national health care bill would make an argument for those who do not want to wear a helmet.
I remember when our state passed it the argument was that the people of California were paying for health care for uninsured , thereby making that point irelavent when or if it does pass.
Unless congress wants to pass a helmet law.

I donated money to ABATE and wrote a jillion letters back in the 1970s in an effort to get Ohio's helmet law repealed. The day after it was repealed, I took a long ride without my helmet and didn't feel safe. I never ride without a helmet now, but it's nice to have the choice. I can't see that the insurance on my bikes is any more expensive than any other state that doesn't have a hemlet law.

Our rates are high because our insurance pays our medical. For life if need be. And if they pass a no helmet law without changing the insurance requirements I'm afraid the rates will drastically increase.

Well, I's a done deal.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>

MIRS BREAKING NEWS: Snyder Signs Motorcycle Helmet Law -- 9:11 a.m.

Gov. Rick SNYDER on Thursday signed the long-awaited helmet bill allowing motorcyclists not to wear a helmet. He did not hold a signing ceremony.
Michigan will become the 31st state to give motorcyclists the option of wearing a helmet.

SB 0291, sponsored by Sen. Phil PAVLOV (R-St. Clair) lets motorcyclists choose whether to wear a helmet if they are at least 21 years old, carry additional insurance and have passed a motorcycle safety course or have had their motorcycle endorsement for at least two years. Motorcycle passengers who want to exercise this option also must be 21 or older and carry additional insurance.

"While many motorcyclists will continue to wear helmets, those who choose not to deserve the latitude to make their own informed judgments as long as they meet the requirements of this new law," Snyder said. "There is no substitute for proper training, education and awareness when it comes to operating any motor vehicle. We must continue working together to keep our roads safe by making sure that everyone who gets behind the wheel of a car or on a motorcycle has the proper skills. Traffic safety is a responsibility shared by all motorists."

Michigan originally implemented its helmet-use law in 1967 to comply with U.S. Department of Transportation requirements for federal funds. That requirement is no longer in place. With this change, Michigan joins the Great Lakes states of Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Pennsylvania that have repealed or amended helmet-use laws to give riders a choice.

The bill is now Public Act 98 of 2012.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I like a helmet. I wear a helmet. I feel helmet use should be left up to the biker...

I vote for personal choice whenever possible. I'm glad MI did so too.

Did this pass? I saw a guy today riding without a helmet.

Read 4 posts above yours..................

"Gov. Rick SNYDER on Thursday signed the long-awaited helmet bill allowing motorcyclists not to wear a helmet. He did not hold a signing ceremony.
Michigan will become the 31st state to give motorcyclists the option of wearing a helmet."

Back