HELP!!! Engine dies after a few minutes idle.

I like the ideal of running line from tank and watch it empty a tank of fuel, that would rule out petcock, I have had this happen on several bikes and it was always the petcock.

I was riding down the road just a month or so ago and suddenly my XS started acting up, popping back and finally cut off. I rolled to the side, looked at the clear fuel filter and guess what? No gas.

Opened tank, it was over 3/4 full. I shook the bike hard left and right and the gas filled the filter again.

I went home, flushed the tank and blew compressed air through the petcock backwards.

Over 1000 miles since and not a problem.

I'm becoming very leery of a lot of gas stations.

Well my shop told me my petcock was defective as the off position did not shut the fuel off. Maybe the on position is defective as well. Anyways I spoke with TC bros monday and my new one is on its way. Once I get the new petcock Ill throw some clear lines on and see how she does. I will also fill it with new gas. Ill keep you guys updated once I get the new petcock.
Thanks again for all the help guys.

Never fill up when the tanker is there or has just left. All he does is stir the shit up in the bottom of the tanks
We have a BP, Shell and another station here. They are all filled by the same tanker. I've watched it happen. He goes from one to the other, lol.

Well Petcock is new and gas flows freely and floats are set correctly. My shop said it is something electrical. My key switch has 2 slots. One for day riding with no lights and second is for all lights for night riding. My shop guy said when the key is on the first position with no lights it runs fine. When you turn it to the second position it will only go like a mile before cutting out. Any ideas? I am thinking its a bad key switch. When I first got it, I had to jingle it to get it to work sometimes...... I am getting a new switch this week.... any other thoughts?

Back