bosco659

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_3779.jpeg
IMG_3780.jpeg
IMG_3785.jpeg
Here’s a new project. For Christmas, my brother in law gave me a new and improved mouse trap. It’s called a Rat Zapper. For the record, I’ve never had a rat (non human) near our house but get the odd mouse under my deck or other small rodents. This machine runs on 4 x AA batteries. It has a ground plate inside as well at a live plate on the back wall. You smear bait on the back wall, then the unsuspecting critter goes for a sniff or bite to eat and gets hit with a high voltage jolt. I’m putting it into service today and will see when I can catch. Stay tuned.

Always used the old fashioned spring type traps with peanut butter, made mistake of getting a couple Tomcat brand enclosed traps only to discover that they're single use. So now we keep a cat around

My brother in law is having a “Caddy Shack” experience in his garage with a clever red squirrel. So far he hasn’t been able to get the bugger to go into the trap. I read somewhere that these squirrels like apple. Anyone know of a good bait?

Saw it on television recently they were doing experiments how clever the squirrels was
Hazel Nuts was used
In Norway ..can differ on continents and species but that was what they used

We live very close to the bush but we've only ever had a couple of field mice come visit us, no rats. I don't kill animals unless absolutely necessary, humane reasons, that sort of thing. So, I use one of these to catch the little cuties, then take a walk down to the bush and release them.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 17
Is the shock enough to kill them or does it just teach them not to go near the trap again? We live on the edge of the woods andI have a rabbit issue occasionally. I keep a pellet gun by the back door and if I see one I just take care of business that way. We had an issue where mice were getting into the basement and being hunted by garter snakes. I’ve caught and released 4 snakes over the years and a couple were quite large. It’s a little startling when you reach for something on a shelf and see a 2’ snake looking at you. Luckily my basement is cool and they were sluggish. I found where the mice were getting in and sealed it up. Haven’t had an issue in a while.

Is the shock enough to kill them or does it just teach them not to go near the trap again? We live on the edge of the woods andI have a rabbit issue occasionally. I keep a pellet gun by the back door and if I see one I just take care of business that way. We had an issue where mice were getting into the basement and being hunted by garter snakes. I’ve caught and released 4 snakes over the years and a couple were quite large. It’s a little startling when you reach for something on a shelf and see a 2’ snake looking at you. Luckily my basement is cool and they were sluggish. I found where the mice were getting in and sealed it up. Haven’t had an issue in a while.
Not sure about the voltage but I’m thinking it may be lethal for small critters. If I found a snake in my house, I’d be high tailing it out of there. Snakes and me don’t mix well. After 24 hours there’s been no activity at the trap. If it’s triggered, a red LED illuminates.

I've had Roller Pigeons off and on for sixty years, straight on for thirty years now.
Keeping pigeons requires grain. Grain attracts mice. Mice attract snakes.
Snakes will eat squabs and eggs, sometimes also trying to eat adult birds, killing them in the attempt to swallow them - which they can't. The tell being a dead bird on the coop floor with its neck stretched and wet.
Mama Cat adopted us and gave us a mess of kittens some years ago. It took a wee bit of time but the mice are now at a minimum and the snakes too.
I kinda miss the snakes.
IMG_0352.JPG

Back