I feel a bit cheated.

I've encountered the same thing but in of all places, a BMW rally. I entered my pristine, all original /5 in the contest, in the /5 division - and the trophy went to ...... some young kid with a totally reworked, repainted, 2-1 exhausted, white faced rebuilt speedo /5. I was pissed. I haven't really attended that rally since and if I did, I certainly didn't enter my bike in the judging contest. Jeeze, I really thought BMW people would be better at this sort of thing, lol.

I've encountered the same thing but in of all places, a BMW rally. I entered my pristine, all original /5 in the contest, in the /5 division - and the trophy went to ...... some young kid with a totally reworked, repainted, 2-1 exhausted, white faced rebuilt speedo /5. I was pissed. I haven't really attended that rally since and if I did, I certainly didn't enter my bike in the judging contest. Jeeze, I really thought BMW people would be better at this sort of thing, lol.

I don't think it matters what motorcycle your working with, it all revolves around the judges and to what professional measure that they want to judge the contest. I am a young kid, but I dont have a brand new paint job on my '75 it's completely original which is why I felt it was deserving. But if I am looking at a completely original bike with only the smallest cosmetic scratches or pitting, not even visable to the naked eye, and next to me is a out of the crate restoration with 150 miles on the OD. I will always go with the original bike because it truly lasted all these years and it deserves the prize.

Back