I upholstered a seat pan I made this weekend. Everything went better than expected!

the_nutt

Have Fun
Reaction score
The pan is 16g steel that I formed with an angle grinder, c-clamps, and a hammer. My friend tacked the corners in the front, that I also made.

The foam is closed cell foam I bought from a local kayak supply store.

I glued the foam to the pan, then used rivets to attach the fabric to the pan. I think it will probably stretch over time, because I didn't think to use grommets in the fabric. :shrug:

I'm very happy with how it turned out considering I've never done anything with fabric before, aside from sewing patches, haha. Its comfortable as well. The closed cell foam does a good job dampening vibrations and bumps, and the 1/4" of soft foam in the pleats of the fabric give it a softer initial feel.

Investment: $10 metal, $20 fabric, $8 foam, ~$10 rivets and adhesive

Attachments

• xs650seat-collage.jpg
    xs650seat-collage.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 311
Hell ya..looks great.. Any full shots of the bike?

Not yet. I have some kind of irrational anxiety against shooting legitimate photos of projects until I deem them complete. But with that said, I'm going to start a project thread soon and post full photos.

niiice. glad to see another XS650 holding it down in the ATX.
What he said.
Nice job.
Westbrook Metals is about a mile form me, I get lots of stuff there. Sometimes for free when they are busy, or almost free when they aren't, they will let you go through the scrap barrels if you wear leather gloves and look serious.

What he said.
Nice job.
Westbrook Metals is about a mile form me, I get lots of stuff there. Sometimes for free when they are busy, or almost free when they aren't, they will let you go through the scrap barrels if you wear leather gloves and look serious.

I didn't think to go through the scrap, but will definitely do that next time. I just bought a yard of 16g and used it throughout a few different projects.

I'm also going to message you about a thermometer...

Back