If I might suggest a fine Bourbon...

xjwmx

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
...on this festive evening.

I no longer live in Kentucky, but my heart is still in the central Bluegrass with its fast women, good looking horses, and the best Bourbon production, in fact the only Bourbon production, in the world.

People in the know drink Kentucky Tavern, or "KT" as we call it up yonder. Light and spicy. Its cousin Kentucky Gentleman has a similar taste, but isn't 100% Bourbon. And both are dirt cheap, so Kentuckians can afford them!

They're available here in the ATX, which might as well be OZ, so I'm sure they're available anywhere. Avoid Kentucky Deluxe, which I never saw for sale in Kentucky and which made me sick.

I've only had Maker's a couple of times straight and I thought it tasted a little medicinal. Up there, they sell commemorative issues of it with various labels and colors of wax. Usually blue wax and something to do with Kentucky basketball, which is a lot of peoples only reason to live, up there. In fact they sell empty yet sealed commemorative bottles in places where they can't sell liquor, such as grocery stores. Jack is popular up there mixed with Coca Cola, as a Jack and Coke. It's mostly the same with the differences being subtle. KT has a slight aroma like spices, like spices you'd cook in baked apples. Jim Beam has an aroma like a wet campfire. Too much charring in the barrels or something. At least it used to. Haven't had it in awhile.

"KT"!!!!!! We used to sip it in one glass and shoot in another until the bottle was gone. That's some rot-gut shit! Now we drink Crown.:cheers:

and then there's Knob Creek

Woodford Reserve for a couple years now during the holidays and when I'm not drinking Tequila.

Knob Creek, Ky. hosts the famous annual machine gun shoot out. Every kind of automatic weapon you can imagine from Uzi to General Electric, plus dynamite blowing up junk cars. It's aight.

Woodford County on the other hand is very monied and genteel. It's aight too.

actually starting to get more bourbon up here, for a while selection was quite slim, for whisky in general, even. noticed in the last year the SAQ (alchool society of quebec) started expanding their range, i think there's maybe a dozen bourbons now, and close to 50 scotches (mind you, alot of that is the various ages from the same distilleries, and mostly blends). still pretty slim pickings compared to a lot of places it seems...
most of the time bourbon's about as expensive as scotch, though, which seems kinda odd...

Cross the border and hit up a good sized LCBO in Ontario man!

Not a huge fan of bourbon, unless its time to go batchit insane and assault people. I'll stick to decent Canadian Rye. Centennial is nice.

i try to make a point to when i'm out in that direction, also fill up on cheaper gas, but lately it's not been worth the cost of gas to make a dedicated trip ):

More of a single malt Scotch fan myself.

I have yet to taste an American whiskey that can hold a candle to Scotch whisky.

They seem to do things better in the old world.

My only experience with Jim Beam was way back in high school. A 1968 Simca was driven down a flight of steps from the upper to lower parking lot. Parents were called. It was ugly. I avoid the stuff, myself. :p

TC

^The liquor clouded their judgment of what vehicles are suitable for driving down steps. They should have chosen the vehicle before they started drinking.

Back