Is riding the new horse drawn carriage

Exploding Coffin Emporium

Day tight compartments
Reaction score
Just the opposite here. I see more motorcycles than ever. Many of them are baby-boomers like me, that are taking advantage of the fact that we now have the time to ride and the money to ride nice bikes.

+1 on more riders in my area. I am rural but live on a main artery road. I was an only lonely till 5-6 (?) yr.s ago. Now I regularly see 2 baggers and 1 ADV rider come by. Between me and the 4 lane there are 4 households that own bikes. On a commute to Springfield there are 3 others that work the evening shift hours and go the same direction and I pass 5-6 going home. Most are 40+ age. All but 2 are male. 99% ride bigger displacement road bikes. A 20 something girl on a Rebel and me on the 650 being the exception.

Motorcycles will not become obsolete for anyone that frequents this web site. They will be around for many, many years. Some people like to say they are not safe, but look what is happening with cars/trucks. Soon all cars and trucks will be driven/controlled totally by computers. Computers are much, much better drivers that people are. Accidents on the highways will drop to close to zero.
That means bikers will be much more safe.................no longer a danger of being run over by people texting on their phones while driving.
What we must fear, is the governments making laws that mandate all motorcycles will also have to be computer controlled, with no human intervention. Simply program where you want to go on your I-phone, download the data to your bike, then just get on the bike and enjoy the ride. Handlebars will be just for holding on; throttle, clutch and brake controls will become museum items.:wink2:

maybe down the track the automated car may be safe. But for now the problems are that the computer will drive the car over pedestrians rather than injure the driver and these automated driven cars don't recognize motor cycles and will drive into them...................

Should automated cars have a sign on them, like the 'Student Driver' cars?

Shaped like a 100yd zero-in target?

Out here, on nice weekends and holidays, the hills come alive with escaping metro-riders. Seems to be more every year. And, of all types. Mostly Harley baggers, but an increasing number of trikes...

Around my area I don't see any more, or less as the years go by. Same demographics as always. The new kids fresh out of high school riding sport bikes until they lay it down, swearing off bikes all together or moving to a cruiser, and they 35+ crowd on mainly on Harley's. No increase or decrease, just steady. I feel like not only would location be a factor in riding, like where I am, New England where winter ruins everything. But also work load. People are needing to work more than one job, or more hours at their full time one in order to keep up with price rises and everything else. So any time that would be spent riding, is now needing to catch up on the home and family.

Around my area I don't see any more, or less as the years go by. Same demographics as always. The new kids fresh out of high school riding sport bikes until they lay it down, swearing off bikes all together or moving to a cruiser, and they 35+ crowd on mainly on Harley's. No increase or decrease, just steady. I feel like not only would location be a factor in riding, like where I am, New England where winter ruins everything. But also work load. People are needing to work more than one job, or more hours at their full time one in order to keep up with price rises and everything else. So any time that would be spent riding, is now needing to catch up on the home and family.
I hear the 2 job thing man, I've always lived very within my means, and have nothing but a mortgage due every month, still working as a nurse full time and a mechanic/bodyman part time to be able to do anything besides just survive. I could quit wrenching but it affords me the ability to take the wife out for dinner once a week, and buy parts when I want to, and this is with my wife working full time in healthcare as well. My cars 10 years old, and my house is 1050 square feet. This is modern America, at least I always have my bike to keep me sane and give me some sense of freedom

Back