mal-ware pop-up

jayel

#9 Guru 74 TX650A
Reaction score
mal-ware pop-up after clicking on the pics in this post
I figured my 1978 XS500 would have the same frame as a xs650

I'm not sure what the problem is.... Clicking which pics?

Thanks for reporting this thread BigJimmy and bring this to my attention.

EDIT. Okay, I found the thread and am looking into it.

Alright.. The problem doesn't show up in Firefox but it does in Internet Explorer. I would suspect it's either a problem with Image Shack or IE. Hopefully they get the problem fixed soon. There is nothing I can do about it since the problem isn't related to this site or my server. Sorry jayel.. thanks for the heads up though.

I asked myself what Chuck Norris would do, so I googled imageshack and virus together and apparently they have a history of hacked servers. If you ever see a weird popup or anything like a fake virus scanner come up anywhere, don't click on anything; just immediately shut down your computer.

that was the idea just get a general warning out to be careful, some of tthat crap is a PITA to get cleaned off your computer

If it's the nasty little trojan I think it is...it may keep your anti-virus program from working, or even keep you from looking for help online. McAfee wouldn't touch it.

If you can get online, try:

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

You may have to:
-download to a stick on another computer,
-start up the infected cpu in Safe Mode
-move the Malwarebytes program from the stick to the infected cpu's Desktop to run the program.

Both of my kids had it on their laptops. One clicked "scan" on the pop-up, and it was a lot harder to get off. The other kid just brought her cpu to me before clicking scan and I was able to clean hers a lot easier.

Don't take my word on the download...do your own research...I could be a bad guy trying to get you to download malware...:wink2:

Yeah some malware can be pretty bad. I've had good luck with Windows 7, Symantec Endpoint Protection, and using Firefox. Keeping your computer up to date and not clicking on anything suspicion is the best thing you can do. Old versions of Internet Explorer are really bad because of the security holes... not to mention the other quirks.

If I'm researching something I'll often google images rather than text because I can tell the content of the site better from its pictures. About 1 out of 25 times searching that way I get a fake virus scanner and all that business from a site found that way and I have to reboot to keep it from installing something.

Back