Modeling Trees.

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Winter is my modeling time. The farm diorama is finished in terms of major scenes, but there's always room for details. One thing you can't have too many of is trees.

dio4.jpg

newwoods1.jpg

There are a number of ways to go with trees. The "woods" in the back corner of the farm are mostly pre-made trees from Amazon. Quick, easy, not terribly expensive...and therefore not terribly realistic.

hedge.jpg

statgrass4.jpg

Individual hand-built trees tend to look better (if done right) and there are as many ways to make them as there are modelers. These were built using a copper wire armature, sprayed with a healthy dose of spray adhesive and then flocked with "static grass" which are very fine plastic fibers that will stand straight up (or out) by using a static charge generator, positive lead to the armature, negative lead to a shaker full of the fibers. I think they make a pretty convincing conifer.

hornet1.jpg

Another approach is to use a larger copper wire armature, with strands separated into limbs and branches and then using ground foam foliage applied with spray adhesive. This works well for deciduous trees.

tree1.jpg

Another issue with creating realistic trees is getting the scale right and getting a balance between the trunk and the canopy. Many of the trees on the diorama are quite small which I pass off as young trees. I wanted to have a mature old growth tree up by the house. I started with a MUCH larger armature made from a piece of welding cable.

tree2.jpg

The truck was divided into limbs, branches and twigs, soldering as I went to keep things in shape.

tree3.jpg

Then the armature was covered with air-cure modeling clay to disguise the wire and create a more bark-like texture.

tree4.jpg

The result was sprayed with a coat of gray primer and a dusting of flat black (tree bark is much darker than most people think if you look at it closely) and then some poly fiber was teased out very thinly and attached to the branches and twigs with spray adhesive (hair spray actually, cheap and effective)

tree5.jpg

Once that was secure, a mixture of light and dark green paper "leaves" was sprinkled on over a fresh coat of hair spray. When planted on the diorama, most of the root structure at the base of the trunk will be covered with earth, grass and weeds with just the knees of the roots showing.

To give you an idea of why the entire diorama isn't covered with more realistic trees, I have about 4-6 hours spread over a week or so invested in building this one...

That's fascinating the way you use wire to make the trunk and limbs.... never woulda guessed that.
As you know, I rewind rotors. I have a metric crapload of old copper wire. Pay the shipping and I'll give ya as much as you want. There's enough here to duplicate the Ardennes in 1/72nd scale if you're so minded.

1709480375692.png

I spent my allowance pretty near every week running slot cars at the hobby shop when I was in high school ('66-'68)

No place, money or skills to build my own track at the time. Neighborhood friend had one that we used to run on too.

Rideitfast, do you still have that set-up? What scale is it?
Yes I still have it. It's 1/32 and I made some switches that allow me to run the lanes clockwise or counter clockwise or opposite of each other. I do have a couple of motorcycles that can run on it but they really don't work well. To top heavy and they don't like to corner.

Attachments

• IMG_20211230_195148609.jpg
    IMG_20211230_195148609.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 12
Awesome work on those trees, all of it actually. Keep it coming.
On a side note, there is always something new to be learned here.
Terminology unknown to me, "METRIC crap load." Gonna try and use that in a sentence. Yup.

Yes I still have it. It's 1/32 and I made some switches that allow me to run the lanes clockwise or counter clockwise or opposite of each other. I do have a couple of motorcycles that can run on it but they really don't work well. To top heavy and they don't like to corner.
Any interest in a Ford GT and a Ferrari? To be honest they are on the rough side, might be good to let some youngsters learn to drive with them! Or for parts.

Awsome trip on the farm!
The 8/9N,s were great machines, with the right equipment on the back you could pull wheelies for yards.
Great entertainment for a working kid. Maintenance and a soldered radiator was all she ever took.

I grew up on a farm very much like that and the only thing you're missing is an old Bridgestone leaned up against the back of the barn.
jmc1.jpg

jmc2.jpg

Fixed that little oversight. Found a printable file for a motorcycle on Thingiverse and scaled it down to 1:64. VERY delicate, didn't survive removing the print supports, but it was supposed to be a junker anyway, so no foul.

birch1.jpg

Thought I'd take a shot at modeling some birch trees. Same wire armature, just much thinner trunk with single branches rather than limbs.

birch2.jpg

Trunk and branches then coated with a mixture of Plaster of Paris and PVA glue thinned with a water and a drop of detergent.

birch3.jpg

Result then speckled with some black oil paint.

birch5.jpg

Tufts of poly fiber glued to branches as twigs to hold the leaves, and then:

birch6.jpg

The old "hairspray and paper leaves" for the foliage. Once things have set up properly, they'll be planted in the typical clump form we see here.

Back