My build thread

xs650newb

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've been asking tons of questions on the forum lately and I thought it better to start a build thread to keep everything together. Also, this way I force myself to post tons of pictures.

Anyways, I've had the bike over 1 year and when I first got it this is what it looked like:
IMAG0491.jpg

I bought it for 650 dollars and it didn't run. After cleaning carbs, changing spark plugs, and getting a battery it ran well. I eventually cut off the exhaust since it had holes in the mufflers, added pod filters, and finally rejetted. I also added drag bars, a XS750 tank, and custom seat.

The bike needs a new cam chain guide because there are black plastic bits in the oil and it is leaking oil from the head gasket, base gasket, and clutch pushrod seal.

Before I started my current top-end rebuild the bike looked like this:

_MG_1176.jpg

I started my top end rebuild a couple of days ago and the motor is already out of the frame and disassembled. I just got the top end parts back from a thorough bead blasting. Also, while it was there I had the mechanic hone the cylinders, lap the valves, and replace the valve guide seals.

Here are some pictures of the engine parts after cleaning.

20120820_231753.jpg
20120820_231931.jpg
20120820_232102.jpg

The mechanic has assured me that he removed all sand media from the heads before he reassembled everything. He suggested I go through the rockerbox and do likewise (since he didn't disasssemble and reassemble it) and I found a lot of sand. I have one up close shot here

20120820_232009.jpg

Those sand blasted bits look real nice , I've just had all my alu bits blasted too and I'm very pleased with the result.

Trouble is now everything else on the bike looks bad against the shiny aluminium parts so now I've got to powdercoat the frame etc etc . Where does it all end ?:(

The 750 tank looks great, I might check out what else can be swopped from the XS750 like the twin front brake discs ,calipers and master cylinder etc. How much more fuel does the 750 hold over the 650 tank?

The 750 gas tank holds 4.5 gallons. It is also pretty easy to install. The cups which are on the frame of the XS650 are on the tank of the 750. So remove the cups from the frame of the 750 and put on those rubber gas tank mounts which were initially on the XS650 gas tank.

I haven't permanently mounted anything to the frame yet. When I do I'll post picks.

Adam

Adam

thanks Adam so the 750 tank holds an additional 2 lts which is useful.
It looks great on your bike but I think I'll stick to the original tank on my initially.( I quite like the curvy shape.) I need to source some Yamaha tank badges which seem to be missing from mine.

Looks like you well ahead of me with your rebuild, I look forward to seeing some more pics and reading about your progress.

John

yes they look like the originals to me , thats what I'd like to fit once the tank is sprayed.
To be honest I haven't really looked too closely at what I've bought yet due to a house move. The bike came part stripped in boxes so I need to look through the boxes first I guess in case the previous owner kept them.

last time I looked in one of the boxes a huge spider ran out up my arm :yikes:and totally freeked me out so I'm a tad apprehensive in going back .I swear it was as big as my hand but maybe I exagerate a bit lol:D

Sorry I just realised I'm hyjacking your build thread. let me know if you would rather I remove the pics.
John

Attachments

• yam box3.jpg
    yam box3.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 158
  • yam box2.jpg
    yam box2.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 152
  • yam box1.jpg
    yam box1.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 154
  • xs650 garage.jpg
    xs650 garage.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Cool pics. Leave them up. Doesn't matter to me.

When you get ready to do the tank feel free to message me. If I still have the badges I can send them to you. You live in the UK it seems and I am stateside so shipping might be a lot.

Adam

xs650newb, If You ever blast your engine parts again I would not sand. Soda blasting is much easer on aluminum also easer to remove when the blasting is done.
Good luck with your build

Ok. So now that everything is bead blasted I am going to order the necessary parts from either Mikes or 650central.

Here is my list, feel free to add anything you see missing. Remember my bike has 20K miles.

1) Cam chain
2) Front cam chain guide
3) copper washers for top end bolts (to replace the rubber washers)
4) clutch pushrod seal
5) clutch pushrod bushing
6) one piece clutch pushrod
7) Piston rings
8) Athena gasket set

Anything missing? If I order a cam chain from mikes do I need to purchase the rivet link also, or is it included?

Best,
Adam

xs650newb from what I understand almost all cam chains are endless now.
Unless you are planning on removing the crank you will want the master link.

Great. I am definitely not going into the bottom end so I was planning on doing an endless cam chain. I was wondering if the cam chains on Mikes include the master link or are bought seperately. It appears it seperate so I'll include that in the order.

Thanks,
Adam

if the cam chain tensioner part is missing rubber, you'll want to replace that as well. I'd also replace the clutch thrust washer

Thanks sseres. I had't thought about replacing the clutch thrust washer. I actually haven't decided yet if I intend on opening up the RHS cover. If I do, it will because I want to give it a good polishing. The clutch was operating fine before teardown so I didn't see the need to mess with it. Plus, it is something I can do with the engine in the frame anyways.

I'm going to order my parts from 650 Central on Monday so I can talk to MMM and confirm I'm not forgetting everything. This weeked I'll take some time and get to grinding down my frame, removing unnecessary stuff.

Hey everyone,

I just removed the clutch side cover and I'm going to begin cleaning up both engine side cases. Since the top end looks so clean I figured I should get the bottom end looking nice as well. I'll post some more pictures, hopefully tomorrow morning.

Anyways, in regards to cleaning up the engine cases here is what I propose.

1) Stripping clear coat with paint remover
2) Degreasing with hot soap, water, and engine degreases
3) Wet sanding, starting somewhere around 400 and working my way up to 1000
4) Some type of polishing. I still need to get a polishing wheel,

Adam

Are you intending to mirror polish the cases? That's the only reason I know of to sand down like that. Soda blasted, the case looks superb. The side covers I've mirror polished which uses the process you list above.

I am going to mirror polish the side covers.

I've started on the left side cover. I started with 220 Grit and moved up to 300 then 400. I'll have to go to the store and pick up 600 and 1000. Here are som pics of the progress so far (up to 400 grit).

Frankly, it already looks pretty good. I might not go through with the mirror polishing. Maybe stop at 1000 grit and apply some automotive wax.

In the first photo the Yamaha logo which covers the rotor has not yet been sanded so you can easily compare. It had already been degreased, however.

photo (2).jpg

In the second photo I remove the cover.

photo (4).jpg

Adam

Another update.

I order all of my rebuild parts with the exception of the cam chain and cam chain guide. I'll probably cave in tomorrow and get an expensive cam chain guide from Yamaha so I can get started the following week.

Another update.

I order all of my rebuild parts with the exception of the cam chain and cam chain guide. I'll probably cave in tomorrow and get an expensive cam chain guide from Yamaha so I can get started the following week.

I got the guide from Yambits.com in the UK. Didn't end up being any more than Mikes and it came really quickly.

I've been mirror polishing by doing what you're doing with wet-dry paper well wet in warm ater with a squerch of liquid dish soap. I take the most time with 220 (and it uses up the most paper). I then use 400, 600, and 800 and stop there. I then hit it with a denim buffing wheel with black compound, then a cloth wheel with white compound. Final rubdown with a soft cloth and viola!

Engine update: all covers polished but the 2 sides. I'm working on the right side first so I can get it on and filler up with oil and see what it sounds and feels like to push it through it's motions all sealed up.

Back