New Ford Maverick

Ordered a Camry Hybrid 5 months ago - delivery time 12 months approx.
Rang Toyota about 2 months after ordering it and asked if we would go to the back of the que if we changed our colour now.
Yes we would, but no worries, we will order you another one in the other colour - so we have 2 camry's coming - we can pick either one.
Regards - Ray
One year waiting time for a Car that is long. How can it be ?

Evidently they can't make them fast enough (the hybrids)
Or ......if they keep the demand high they can keep the prices high with no haggling (pent up demand like during Covid)
If I ran a car company I would keep up with the demand somehow but thats just not there new business model
"Never keep a man waiting that wants to give you his money" (don't know who the quote is from but it's true anyway)

Jan-P The Camry is used for taxi's which doesnt help the supply problem - apparently its 18 months for a Rav4.
The wait doesnt worry us because our current car suits our needs perfectly except for its appetite for its own lubrication. We knew it was a 12 month wait for a Camry and that we were prepared to put up with pouring oil in our current car for another 12 months. Its been 9 months now. I have noticed Toyota are communicating with us a bit more assuring us that they are trying all sorts to ease the supply problem. I think they are shitting themselves because i suspect people with orders are getting sick of waiting and buying something else. I've noticed mazda's advert on TV emphasises the fact that they have stock for immediated delivery.
Another reason for the wait for a Camry is the fact that I couldnt beleive how good the car was to drive - the dynamics, quiteness, comfort, steering and if you stick your boot into it the acceleration is quick because the two motors combine. Of course 4.7 litres per 100 Klms is welcome.
There is a couple of fantastic utube clips on how the 2 electric motors and one ice motor work together - its brilliant. Just a side note - even the ice motor is not the normal 4 stroke cycle - its uses a type of miller cycle - very interesting.
The only thing I dont really like about getting a new Camry is its just a replacement for our current car - more of the same really - just a bit more modern - its a shame its not something sporty/unique that you look forward to driving.
Regards Ray.

I now have a VIN number for the Maverick and it may be here now before October
I take back all the trash talk I put out there about Ford Motor Company ..... Nah
Now I'm curious about the CVT transmission that this thing will have
I know they have been around awhile now but I can't get past the idea of a bicycle derailer system transmission on this truck
time to start seeing what the Ionic is worth so I can tell the dealer that Kelly blue books price is nonsense
Carmax will buy it from me for $18000 and KBB says it's trade in value is $14000 - $16500

I now have a VIN number for the Maverick and it may be here now before October
I take back all the trash talk I put out there about Ford Motor Company ..... Nah
Now I'm curious about the CVT transmission that this thing will have
I know they have been around awhile now but I can't get past the idea of a bicycle derailer system transmission on this truck
time to start seeing what the Ionic is worth so I can tell the dealer that Kelly blue books price is nonsense
Carmax will buy it from me for $18000 and KBB says it's trade in value is $14000 - $16500
It's an eCVT, nothing like the push-belt CVTs in pure ICE vehicles.
The Mav (and all Ford fwd hybrids) are series/parallel hybrids. Inside the transaxle are two electric motor/generators, one directly driving the differential (traction m/g), and the other connected to both the engine and differential through a planetary gearset (charge m/g). Vehicle speed is directly dependent on the speed of the traction m/g, regulated by a 3-phase A/C motor controller. The charge m/g is the starter motor for the gas engine, and the primary generator for recharging the batteries. Engine torque can also be vectored to the differential through the planetary gearset, by stalling the charge m/g while the engine is running. There are no clutches, bands, or hydraulic controls. It's been an extremely durable, reliable transmission with only a few historic failures. Input shaft bearings can develop noise, but are serviceable separately after the '21 model year. The m/g rotors and stators are replaceable/serviceable, but so far, have only needed cleaning if a certain lube seal leaks/fails internally. I'm not a huge fan of the Mav, simply because I don't need a tiny pickup, but it's the same powertrain in the Escape hybrid, and it's rock solid in performance and reliability.

Thanks for the answer thats one hell of a write up !!
I feel better now that I have a better idea on how the transmission works !!
The only reason I went with the maverick because it has more room to haul stuff than my little hatchback and I don't really need a big truck
Just today I hauled a few pieces of lumber with the hatchback but 8' the limit and so is the quantity i haul

We bought a Hyundai Venue last December and the car came with a CVT transmission, I have never had one and was prepared to not like it. But I have been pleasantly surprised, It accelerates very smoothly, it’s quiet, and by keeping the revs on a more or less even plane, the car gets very good gas mileage.

Well I got the Maverick last week and it's not a bad little car/truck for the money
It has a few odd Ball features such as lane assist if you drift off to one side it will slowly head you towards the center and if (when ) you drift the other way it will send you back towards center (like a drunkin driver in slow motion )
And it will do hands free calling and texting but still has to be plugged into my phone for navigation on the screen to work ( it will say the best route would be blah blah blah but never give me step by step instruction without plugging it in )
I thought I had the dealer under control until after the car was paid for and then looking at all the paperwork I saw they had sold me a policy which if the car was stolen the policy would pay the first $5000 and this would be in place for 5 years
$199 dollars WTF and back to the dealer where I explained to him I have car insurance with a $1000 deductible so I really didn't need the damn policy
Money was instantly refunded and they explained to me they add that to all new cars they sell
$199 per vehicle x all the vehicles they sell in a year it's a hell of a racket
Anyway it's good enough I just will turn off the stupid shit and drive like I'm paying attention

Well done Mikey - glad you like it.
Our Camry order has gone out to 18 months now - its been on order for 12 months.
No other car maker seems to have the supply problems Toyota have.
Im starting to think its a ploy to increase the price - its goes something like this - "the Camry has just had a price increase of $3000, now we know you have waited 14 months and we estimate you will have your car in 4 months time, but we will refund the $1000 deposit if you like". So we think - oh fuck it wehave waited this long whats another 4 months and a couple of thousand dollars.
I dont know - the longer we wait the more something smells.
Ray.

I bought a Ranger new in 08'... great truck... drove it all over the country .... in 2018 my oldest needed a truck... almost gave it to him.. wanted another Ranger... Ford's idea of a Ranger is a sightly scaled down F150 with a hefty almost F150 price tag... I wanted a Ranger... not a smaller F-150... I noticed the auto parts stores and Pest control company's use to have Rangers.... now.... Nissan Frontiers.... I checked into them.... the lowest priced truck on the market.... drove one off the lot.... 4 banger, slush box, AC, cruise... slightly bigger than the Ranger... $17,400.oo... the 10 grand I saved from the " bloated Ranger " remains in my checking account.... the Nissan is approaching 100000 miles... brakes and tires.... during this time.... 😎

Well done Mikey - glad you like it.
Our Camry order has gone out to 18 months now - its been on order for 12 months.
No other car maker seems to have the supply problems Toyota have.
Im starting to think its a ploy to increase the price - its goes something like this - "the Camry has just had a price increase of $3000, now we know you have waited 14 months and we estimate you will have your car in 4 months time, but we will refund the $1000 deposit if you like". So we think - oh fuck it wehave waited this long whats another 4 months and a couple of thousand dollars.
I dont know - the longer we wait the more something smells.
Ray.
The dealer would like you to take your $1000 back and when the Camry comes in they will jack it up another $10,000 and sell it to someone who doesn't want to wait and will spend the extra cash to get one now
The dealer I used had a customer get their $1000 back cause they got sick of waiting and the dealership added $10,000 to the price and out the door it went

The dealer would like you to take your $1000 back and when the Camry comes in they will jack it up another $10,000 and sell it to someone who doesn't want to wait and will spend the extra cash to get one now
The dealer I used had a customer get their $1000 back cause they got sick of waiting and the dealership added $10,000 to the price and out the door it went
I don’t like the way car and truck sales have gone over the past few years. I went on a tour of the local Toyota plant and they told us the plant only builds to firm orders meaning dealerships will rarely have a new vehicle in stock. I think this is the new sales model for many brands. Too bad because I used to enjoy poking my nose around a new car lot.
I get why they are doing it though. Lowers inventory carrying costs. One would have hoped this would have resulted in lower costs for the consumer. Not!
Oh well, like most things, we’ll get used to it and forget about the way it used to be. Young ‘uns will never know the difference.

I don’t like the way car and truck sales have gone over the past few years.

Remember the days when a sales negotiation began with the sticker price and worked downward?
About a year ago my wife and I decided to retire our 10 year old cars and get one new one. We’re retired now and really don’t need 2 cars. We were looking at the Kia Seltos SUV, but the dealerships were tacking on exorbitant mark ups above the sticker price, just because people were willing to pay it. They were selling them before they could even get them unwrapped and prepped for sale, at $4,000 over list price.
We found a no BS Hyundai dealership that added no mark up whatsoever and bought a car from them. It’s a matter of principal……don’t you know? 🤨

So what happens if the prices go down 18 -- 20 ---24 months later there can be a market shift ..those always come
They Have order books full for people now saying I don't want that **** car the Science have move forward
Your competitors have better batteries at lower prices .. Renegotiate or you can keep it.

I would think that if you had the means to buy a BIG pickup or SUV especially the total electric now would be the time to get a great deal
There inventories are bloated with cars and trucks the average person cant or won't buy :poo:
Can you imagine paying $1000 or more every month for an auto loan :yikes::yikes:
not to mention sales tax and auto insurance too
I know I'm mature ( old as in OLD ) but my first house was $27,500 ( when I wore a younger mans clothes )

Last edited:
Back