Notification emails to Hotmail, MSN, Live, and Outlook email accounts

Travis

Forum Staff
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Microsoft has recently blocked all email from the site, so all email notifications sent to Hotmail, MSN, Live, and Outlook email accounts are bouncing back to me. I am not sure when this block will be removed. If you wish to receive email notifications from the site you will need to update your email address to a non-Microsoft account. Please click here to change your email address in the Control Panel.

If you have Microsoft email account, and no longer wish to receive any type of email notifications from the site, you can do nothing. You will no longer receive email from other members, notifications of new private messages, notifications to thread updates, or notifications from the administrator (including giveaway announcements). You will also not be able to use the user name look-up or password reset tools until Microsoft removes the email block.

To address this problem, I've implemented new software to handle bounced email. Once an email address has been unreachable 2 times, to prevent further emails from being sent, the following changes will be made to your account:
* Show New Private Message Notification Pop-up - Enabled
* Receive Email Notification of New Private Messages - Disabled
* Receive Email from Administrators - Disabled
* Receive Email from Other Members - Disabled
* Receive Friendship Request Email - Disabled
* Thread Subscription (Email Notification) - Disabled (if it was enabled)
* Forum Subscription (Email Notification) - Disabled (if it was enabled)
* Default Thread Subscription Mode – No email notification

If your email address has been unreachable 2 times, you will receive a PM stating essentially the same thing as this post.

If you receive the PM and your account settings are changed, once you have changed your email address, you can restore your previous email notification settings here.

Note: if you wish to receive notifications of future giveaways, you will need to enable Receive Email from Administrators after changing your email address.

You can mass-change your thread and forum subscription settings here.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here.

This sounds complicated. I'm not all computer savvy. I just joined here last year and that was it . I have to use a different email and change a bunch of stuff? Can we just wait it out see what happens. I wondered why I was getting no notifications on my iPhone. This blows.

This sounds complicated. I'm not all computer savvy. I just joined here last year and that was it . I have to use a different email and change a bunch of stuff? Can we just wait it out see what happens. I wondered why I was getting no notifications on my iPhone. This blows.

Yeah it's a huge pain in the ass. You can wait it out if you're okay with not receiving notifications for a while. I'll do my best to get the block on the site removed as soon as possible. I wish there were something in the software so I could temporarily block all email to certain accounts without having change all of the individual settings for each account. Even when the block is removed, your settings will need to be manually changed back to how you want them.

When you guys are ready to restore your notifications (either after changing your email address in the control panel, or after the block is removed if you keep your existing email address), let me know and I can help, or do it for you (you'll have to tell me what you want to received notifications for).

I hope not!

I made a lot changes in the server this evening and I think emails being sent to Microsoft accounts are working again. I'm not seeing them coming back to me anyway. Is anyone who is using a Microsoft account, who didn't receive the "Bounced Mail Alert" PM, getting emails from the site again?

Tron says he's getting emails again so hopefully all is well.

Anyone who received the "Bounced Mail Alert" PM had their notifications setting changed (as described in the first post of this thread), so they'll need to go into their control panel and change their notification settings. You'll also need to change your thread subscription notifications settings as they've all been changed to 'No email notification'. If anyone needs help or has questions, let me know!

Hey Travis, I've been getting many xs650.com 'website not found' from port:80.
Wonder if others been blocked, too. Somehow, it was keyed to my tablet id. Got in thru sidedoor, logged out, flushed cache, your routine flushed cookies, can now get in except for main page.
Seems like changes to dns router/gateways out there got compromized...
My net path likely goes thru Austin, and they're going thru a major retrofit with googles new fibre.
Might see what they're up to, or wait it out. Folks may need to do similar cache flush...

tadd442, If you didn't receive the "Bounced Mail Alert" PM, then no settings were changed on your account, so you don't need to do anything.

If anyone changed their email address upon seeing this notice, and never received the "Bounced Mail Alert" PM, no settings were changed and they can change their email back to the Microsoft one.

TwoManyXS1Bs, that was me. I changed the IP address for the site and a few other things on the server. Everything should be back to normal now. If not, it's more than likely a cache issue with your browser. Try a different browser to confirm or refresh the pages that aren't working using Ctrl + F5

Hi Travis, everything is ok now? I dont know if I have to change something in my account, or my mail, can you try send me a PM?

No receiving notifications yet... :(

Last edited:
XS650_Bobber, pm sent. Let me know if you need help with your notification settings.

OK, I "think" I made the correct changes so that I get email notifications from the site now.

What about the subscribed threads thing? Why does it automatically subscribe me to every thread I read and how do I change that?

user control panel - edit options

Messaging & Notification

Default Thread Subscription Mode
When you post a new thread, or reply to a topic, you can choose to automatically add that thread to your list of subscribed threads, with the option to receive email notification of new replies to that thread.

you have 4 choices on whether or not to receive notifications.

One thing to keep in mind is that changing your subscription mode only changes it for future subscriptions.

The following is from: http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145
See the last section.

What are subscriptions?

Subscriptions are a way to track updates to threads you have posted in, as well as in threads that you haven't posted in, but are interested in tracking updates. You can choose how you are notified about updates - for example by having them listed in your User Control Panel and also receiving email updates for each one.

How do I subscribe to a thread?

When you start a new thread, or reply to a thread, you can choose to automatically add that thread to your list of subscribed threads, with the option to receive email notification of new replies to that thread.

To see what your Subscription mode is set to (you had this option when you registered), go to your Control Panel > Edit Options. Scroll down to the 'Messaging and Notifications' box. Under 'Default Thread Subscription Mode', you can select from the following:

• Do Not Subscribe - no automatic subscriptions, no tracking.
  • No Email Notification - lists the subscription in your Control Panel only. You do not receive any notifications about new posts or threads in the forum.
  • Instant Email Notification - sends an email as soon as a new post is added to the thread. This is not sent for every reply and will only be sent one time, until you revisit the forums. So if there are 20 new replies in a thread since your last visit, you will only get one email for the first new reply. Once you visit the forum again, it will reset and you receive an email again for the next new reply.
  • Daily Email Notification - sends one email a day with the new updates to your subscribed threads.
  • Weekly Email Notification - sends one email per week in the same way as the Daily Email Notification.
To manually subscribe to a thread, click the 'Thread Tools' link at the top of the list of posts then click 'Subscribe to Thread'. You can then choose the subscription mode that you wish to use for that thread. This is how you can subscribe to threads if you have 'Do Not Subscribe' selected in your Control Panel, or if you have not posted in the thread but want to subscribe to it.

You can also subscribe to a whole forum, click the 'Forum Tools' link above the list of threads then select 'Subscribe to Forum'. You will then have the option to choose the subscription mode for this forum. If the forum that you are subscribing to has any child forums (forums within a forum) then your subscription will be extended to these automatically.

How do I manage Subscriptions and Folders?

Thread subscriptions can be sorted into folders for easy management. You can create as many folders as you wish by going to 'Edit Folders' in the 'Subscribed Threads' section of your Control Panel. To add a new folder, enter the folder name into one of the blank boxes and save the page. To delete a folder, delete the folder name. Editing a folder is done by simply editing the folder name in the list.

You can also manage your individual subscriptions by clicking 'List Subscriptions' under 'Subscribed Threads' in your User CP. Here you can select which subscriptions you wish to manage and delete them, move them to another folder, or change their subscription type.

You can manage thread subscriptions while you're in each thread by clicking the 'Thread Tools' link at the top of the list of posts, then click 'Subscribe to Thread'. You can then change the subscription mode that you wish to use for that thread and also unsubscribe to that thread.

Forum subscriptions are not managed through the List Subscriptions page and are shown on the Control Panel page where they contain the option to unsubscribe from the forum.

When you change your Subscription Mode in your Control Panel, it only affects newly subscribed threads from that point on. If you had it set to daily notifications, and are changing it to weekly notifications, only the newly subscribed threads will have that setting. To change the setting of the other threads that were set up to receive daily notification, you'll need to do that by clicking 'List Subscriptions' under 'Subscribed Threads' in the control panel.

I know that's a lot to take in, but you can change these settings anytime you want, so play around with them and see what works best for you.

Back