Wanted - PA State inspection- Phila area.

Hairyblackdude

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Team,

Ive had 2 different shops tell me they won't inspect my bike due to the hardtail frame. They werent really sure how to handle it & "didn't want to risk it".

They both asked for a reconstructed title- which I do not have, just a standard title.

I do not want to go thru the huge hassle for a recon title, nor do I want to ride with an expired inspection.

The bike passed last year, no prob- but the guy who did it, retired.

Can someone near Philadelphia provide a valid state inspection?

Thanks,
_marc

Wanted to include what the bike has.

80XS, PA titled, registered & insured.
TC Bros hardtail frame.
Model A taillight on vertical license plate on rear axle.
1 mirror - approx. 4" round.
GordonScott drag pipes.
Bar end turn signals.

The bike is solid- already put 2500mi on it last year.

The don't give RECON title in PA anymore haven't done it for years. Hardtail is legal so they don't know what they are talking about they just don't want to do it. I use to inspect in PA for years. You need a custom shop or you may just have to call around. I will ask on my end and see if anyone is around. There use to be a shop in Manyunk on main street and you can try my buddys old shop at 20TH and Snyder he use to do bikes but sold shop. If you don't fine someone i can give you a buddy in south philly and he may know someone he has car inspection at his shop but he owns bikes too. How about the shop on Chester pike in Norwood or the guys in Eddystone. I use to half own the Honda dealer in Eddystone. PM me if you need help
Rich

Dunno how close u r to chester but look up johns cycle in chester pa. Great guy - call him before u go. PA is starting to be an all round pain with titles, inspection, etc

Thanks for the information.

John was the first shop to turn me away. We've been shop "neighbors" for several years. We rent in the same location. Great guy & we love him, but he said he couldn't risk his license for 30 bucks. I'm not gonna break his balls, I respect him too much.

Goldens cycle in chester did it for me last year, but he's done now. I took it to the new shop in the same location. The kid there said he wasn't sure how to handle it, so he ended up asking John- he of course, said no again.

I admittingly did not call around yet. It just sounds shady calling out asking if anyone will inspect your bike. Kinda already preparing them for some crazy bike that shouldn't be on the road.

Maybe hoping there would be a local shop who's friendly & familiar towards chops...

WOW John must have mellowed out. He has built some rat bikes in the pass that i wouldn't even ride.Unless PA came up with some new rules that i am not aware of but as long as the bike has lights/brake light/horn/and doesn't have a front end over 10" it should go threw. Now if they see something unsafe on your bike its a different story. There are 3 or 4 of my choppers running around in the philly area and to the best of my knowledge they all passed . Do most guys even get inspected in Philly????? Thats why i am in NJ NO INSPECTION on BIKES. Hardtail can't be the issue Call the State Police barrix and ask. Pa always been a tough place for titles and inspection. 25 years ago it was a breeze and they had recon. Steal a bike on monday and title it on Tuesday. Thats the way it was.

Marc
I've been riding in the phila area for over 25 years and never got any of my bikes inspected and I used to work at a bike shop. Did I get nailed a few times--- I did maybe 3 times. But on 2 of those I was able to talk the officer in giving me just a ticket for the inspection and not the moving violation (speeding) which comes with points which is your worst enemy. It gives you a little bargaining opportunity when pulled over--the officer can still write a ticket and the state still gets some $. Not sure what an out-of-date pa inspection ticket is these days but I'm so far "ahead" with the math that I don't care. The only exception that I could see is if you are running straight pipes and your bike is fairly loud--then you better get inspected. Just something for you to think about

hey, go to my friend at working class cycles, at 25th and pointbreeze sts. He helped get my old bike inspected, and that thing was a death trap.

yea your best bet is to just shop around
There are alot of things that some will overlook and others wont
Nothing in the PA inspection book about the frame itself
normal regisration does require things if they came with the bike such as turn signals
tire size and such
rake and trail does need to be withing certain limits

You could give the shop that do my inspections, Quality Brakes Plus in Morton, PA. The owner, John, is a great guy, and I often see a raked out chopper parked at the shop so I bet they don't care about a hardtail. It might be worth a call at least.

Back