PITA paint job

Wingedwheel

If it wasn’t broke before, let me try it…
Top Contributor
Reaction score
So since I've been back from my out-of-towner work I'm trying to pack 7 months worth of projects into a short amount of time. I'm not rushing things but just methodically knocking things out and managing time between projects. In the last two weeks I've been stung(another post), rebuilt the carbs on my edger, mower and two generators and worked on idea's for removable wheel chocks in my trailer(yet another post) and will have that knocked out tomorrow. the other project that was hanging was a '78 750A Honda cafe that I started a little over a year ago that I'm finally getting back to. I rebuilt the engine last fall and when I bought it after it sat for 21 years the engine paint had been destroyed by a leaky battery that probably froze and burst while it sat. I decided to go with a blacked out look due to everything on this bike being rusty or corroded so I broke out the degreaser and the power washer and went at the engine today being very careful around anything that would let water in. I taped up all the ports and blasted as much of the old paint off that I could. after it was all clean and dry I shook my can of VHT Flame proof primer and went out to shoot the engine. I noticed that although the pressure wash had cleaned off any paint and grease there was still quite a bit of oxidation on the upper engine case! AAUURRGGGHHH.
oxicase1.JPG
oxycase2.JPG
So back to the store for some scotchbrite pads and another couple hours of cleaning.... I got it where I liked it and gave it a coat. I left it off the side and oil pan covers because I still have to remove those for gasket and fastener replacement. All the phillips will be replaced with stainless cap screws and I'll do the covers individually.
primedcase1.JPG

Tomorrow I'll do the first coat of high-heat gloss black.

Last edited:
Is that an 750 Automatic engine ?

Why yes it is azman857, 750A. I thought it might be a different kinda Cafe project. I was told they were sought after by old school drag bike racers.

I’ve never done a Hondamatic but done 6 sohc CB750 I don’t like the magic because you control the rev but I don’t like the paint on the engine because it seems like eventually a float sticks and fuel puts a damper on the paint I curse and take the time to by hand and polish every damn part I have a 750 cafe I’m about to do

Matic where good for trikes for people who couldn’t hold up a bike. But with the torque converter they weren’t fast at all

The weak point was always the carburetor set up. They were smaller and under powered due to the set-up that Honda used. This along with the fact that they felt "weird" because of no clutch caused it to be a not very popular machine. They only lasted 3 years,76-78.

Oh man, you had me going for a minute. Scrolling down through your photos, I didn’t realize you were using powder coat. I got to the second photo and thought OMG that’s the ugliest paint I ever saw! Then I saw the last photo! Ahhhh......much better. :cool:

Back