Rear footpeg stud

scabber

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
The threads are stripped on the stud. Has anyone removed one. Before I take the vice grips to it any suggestions. Where would find a replacement and thread sizes would help.

On my 75 one of the rear foot peg mount studs was stripped when I got it. I had a metric tap and die set. I used the die that fit closest. Turned out to be 12x1.50. The same size as most Japanese and many American car lug nuts.
You can get lug nuts at most auto parts places as well as most auto salvage yards, often laying on the ground. Just pick up a few in the foriegn car section, I like the chrome acorns, clean out the threads with a tap, polish the chrome up. I even grind the tapered part off so it has a flat end to hold the foot pegs on.
I would do the same with a front peg mount but I don't think it will be 12x1.50. So lug nuts won't work there.
Leo

Can the studs be unscrewed at all? With the seat I now have, there's no place for a rider, so I have removed my rear pegs for good and don't need the studs anymore. I tried backing them out using a jam nut, but no joy - don't want to saw them off if they can be unscrewed.

Back