Retardment - how retirement works

Wolfchen

Ace of dogma
Reaction score
"RETARDED" GRANDPARENTS

Written by a third grader, on what his grandparents do.
After Christmas, a teacher asked her young pupils how they
spent their holiday away from school. One child wrote the
following:

We always used to spend the holidays with Grandma and
Grandpa. They used to live in a big brick house, but Grandpa
got retarded and they moved to Arizona. Now they live in a tin
box and have rocks painted green to look like grass.

They ride around on their bicycles, and wear name tags, because they
don't know who they are anymore. They go to a building
called a wreck center, but they must have got it fixed because it
is all okay now, they do exercises there, but they don't do them
very well. There is a swimming pool too, but they all jump up
and down in it with hats on.

At their gate, there is a doll house with a little old man sitting in it. He
watches all day so nobody can escape. Sometimes they sneak out, and go
cruising in their golf carts. Nobody there cooks, they just eat out.
And, they eat the same thing every night - early birds.

Some of the people can't get out past the man in the doll house.
The ones,who do get out, bring food back to the wrecked center for pot
luck. My Grandma says that Grandpa worked all his life to earn his retardment
and, says I should work hard so I can be retarded someday too.

When I earn my retardment, I want to be the man in the doll house.
Then I will let people out, so they can visit their grandchildren.

I'm 4 years away from retardment. I remember the feeling I had as a kid waking up in the morning during summer vacation and the joy I had knowing that I didn't have to go somewhere I didn't want to go and do something I didn't want to do. I imagine it will be a bit like that.

Yeah, retirement is hell!

I usually start the day by reading the local obituaries; if my name's not in there, I know I'm going to have a good day.

Then I look in the mirror and think, if I'd known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

Yes, I'm sure a third grader would think I look about a thousand years old.

Dam boy scout took me across a busy intersection last week, but I didn't even want to go to the other side.

Seriously, its all about free time, and I can play with my hobbies as much as I like. Yes, its a lot like being on vacation all the time. When I worked, I had to carry a cell phone and I was always under time deadlines. Now I don't carry any cell phones.............heck I don't even wear a watch. If the weather is good, I can ride my bike every day of the week.

My grand kids give me tremendous enjoyment. I have no schedule, and my biggest job is planning my next motorcycle trip.

I love retardment too, I can make a Dunkin coffee run whenever I like, I can ride my motorcycle any day I like, if it rains, I just loaf around until the sun comes out. The best thing about retardment is that I don't owe my time to anyone. One of these days, I'm going to start a ground up restoration of my XS650H, I promised myself it was going to be restored before I'm to old to do the work on it myself.

Well, I am not there yet but its looking better all the time. With the state of the economy and what some of these companies have become I would be ready tomorrow. I have a relative who is a construction foreman in Calif. who is union and will be retiring in his early 50's. I hope the economy rebounds before I get there as we were all led to believe that a 401K was the way to go when we were growing up. I guess that guy never seen what was coming. I should have put my money in a sock.
jefft

You guys will never like retirement, it's really tough. I mean you don't have to get up at any specified time, you can ride your motorcycle any time you want, you can work on your bike endless hours, you never have to get dressed up, Levi's and a tee shirt are the normal dress code. You won't have a boss hovering over you, there is no stress...the only stress you have is deciding whether to BBQ or go out for dinner. The only problem I face every day is deciding if I want Dunkin or Starbucks coffee.

I'm telling you guys....you won't like retirement.:laugh:

This thread is priceless.

I'm three months away from retardment eligibility. While I have been happy for a decent livelihood and all that it provides, I have had to remit the proverbial pound of flesh; the actual work that I do has registered somewhere between painting in the rain and watching a plank warp, and at the end of the day I generally feel as if I have been given a prefrontal lobotomy with a coat hanger. So, I plan to become retarded in the spring, '12. Sure, there will be a house and yard to maintain - fine, that - but there will also be my lovely (younger and still working) wife to keep me out of (too much) trouble, guitars to be noodled upon, poetry/prose/music to compose, motorcycles and bicycles to be worked on and ridden, hikes and runs to be taken, and my young people to be mentored. And one of the paramount lessons I hope to instill in them is to never, ever mortgage their beautiful souls to anyone.

TC

Been retired for a year now, best decision I ever made. Get up when I want and do what I want. That usually involves morning coffee and then deciding which bike to go for a ride on. When the weather is good that seems to last a while, then back home and a bite to eat. Then its off on the mountain bike into the forest across the street and hit the trails for an hour or two, a good day. Now that the weather has started to turn, out come the fishing rods and gear, spend the day fishing for salmon and steelhead on a river about an hour from home, another good day. Winter projects an the bikes get done when the weather is too bad outside, spend the day in the garage doing something that I want to do to a bike to improve it in some way. Yep, retardment sure is enjoyable alright. Highly recommended. John

I've been retired for almost 3 years now. I do at least one frame up restoration a year, sometimes two. I just came back from a camping trip in the Blue Ridge. The weather was the deciding factor to come home. Senior pass camping fee in National Parks is only $8.00. If I want to look at a bike for sale I tell the owner that he can name the time for me to look at it as I have unlimited free time! :) I no longer take blood pressure medication.....no longer necessary. I have lost 60lbs so far (do more, eat less). I feel the best I have felt in years. Friends who haven't seen me in a while say I look younger....go figure. The only down side is the fixed income, but that's okay. My two Goldens eat well, I get to spend time with my wife, and I can always escape to the shop and work on motorcycles. retirement is very, very good.........:thumbsup:

New to this site. The worst thing about retirement is that you never get a day off. Somedays you do nothing. Problem there is that you never know when you're finished.

Retarded (kinda forced into it sooner than expected) for about a year.
It's tuff, not sure too many can really handle it though!!!! :D
This weeks accomplishments and schedule;
Yesterday - slept in until 8:00, went for couple hour hike in the mountains around the house, breakfast, tinkered in garage on motorcycle (more like cussed & swore at it, stupid harley, have to start on the xs650 instead), ate some lunch about 2:00, took a nap, went back to garage, watched part of Monday Night Football.:bike:
Today - woke up about 6:30, hiked for about an hour, ate breakfast, helped unload moving truck of a friends nephew who moved in down the road, gathered rocks for pond build project @ neighbors. Damn forgot lunch and no nap today!!!:doh:
Tomorrow - wake up when I feel like it, maybe go for a hike in the morning again, toss golf clubs and clothes in truck and leave on 5 day golf trip with the boys!!!!!:thumbsup:
Gotta remember to buy more beer for golf trip!:cheers:
Yeah retardedment sucks!!!!!!!:laughing:

My brother and his family lived 3 doors down from our parents when Daddy retired.

One afternoon my nephew came home from kindergarten, jumped off the bus in front of his house and started running towards my parents' house. The bus driver shouted, "Whoa there little boy! Why are you running so fast?"

My nephew shouted back, "My grandpa's retarded, I have to go play with him!"

Folks from almost every house on the block heard the exchange and came over to tell my daddy.

PS. My nephew is a professional wrestler now and still wants to crawl under a table when he hears this story.

Last edited:
Back