Running rough after electronic ignition and PMA

1976xs

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gday, shes a little rough after fitting these. Slow throttle response and cough and splutters.

One spark plug is a little less bright of a spark then the other. would this have anything to do with it. Or do u rekon it needs timing?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks:thumbsup:

Not sure if it is a Pamco you installed, but I know when I put my Pamco on I had to adjust it to get it timed right, so that would be where I would start if I were in your shoes.

1976xs,

Try running the engine with the ignition system connected to a separate battery, sitting on the floor to eliminate the possibility of the PMA setup causing the problem.

The last time this problem came up it turned out to be a bad battery. The battery acts like a filter for the alternating DC coming from the PMA. If you have a bad cell in the battery, then the voltage from the PMA is not filtered, resulting in the ignition system not getting a clean DC voltage.

... Or do u rekon it needs timing?

So, from this are you saying you installed the PMA and new ignition and didn't check the timing afterward?

To eliminate the numerous possibilities, take care of the typical stuff first, like timing. While it's possible to install a PMA and electronic ignition and get the bike running without bothering to adjust the timing, it's not likely to be spot-on and should be checked.

Little more background on what you've done, how the bike ran before etc. would be helpful. At minimum I'd take an hour and do a basic tuneup on the bike. Check your tappet clearances, adjust your timing and sync the carbs.

thanks for the replies. Ill try first with another battery as i'll have to read up a bit on how to get it timed right.

the bike ran what i thought was fine for a '76 before doing this to it. So i'll run through these and see how she is

Thanks again!!!!!

Back