seat question

83rider

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone knows if a mid 70's seat will fit my 83 heritage 1? The seat the bike came with was done kinda crappy. Any advice would be helpful, sorry if this is a boring post just kinda working on the cosmetics for right now.

Attachments

• IMG_3193.jpg
    IMG_3193.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 116
Yeah, that is kind of a crappy looking seat, isn't it? Rest of the bike looks very nice, though.

As for seat fitment, prior to 1980, the XS650 seat mounted on a hinge and pivoted upward. 1980 and later, the seat is a lift-off style. There is no compatibility between early and late seat fitments. Oh, I suppose you could custom build some hinges to fit an early seat to your bike -- I mean pretty much anything is possible, if you set your mind to it.

So you have basically a few ways to go: buy a used 1980+ seat off eBay or similar. Get your existing seat, or a full-length used seat custom recovered by Sargent or the like. Or buy a new seat from MikesXS. Mikes offers either stock replacement seats or bum-stop cafe-style seats for the late XS650s. If it were me, I'd go with one of Mikes' cafe seats.

Back