Frame differences relative to seat height?

JRB

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Newbie here! Well, mostly- 40 years off the saddle now making my return so looking for my learner bike- and being somewhat confused as to wither there are significant frame differences determining the differences in seat heights between the "Classic", "Custom" versions (28" vs 27.4" respectively for most 1997-2017 models) and especially the 1999-2002 Custom models at 25.6". It has been said the primary difference for 25.6" variety was in the shorter/thinner seat? Did it use the same frame as in the adjacent years 1998 & 2003 which were listed at the 'normal' seat height of 27.4"? Is the Custom frame different for those four lowest seat (25.6") years?

Why the question?
I am now 70 years young
Weigh 150lbs
5'-5" with 27.5" inseam

So bikes with seat heights at or below 27" work best for me and the lower the better for this learner! And I can still pick up a light 525lb bike when I tip over!
Also the lower seat & center of gravity make it easier for me to do low speed maneuvers- the most difficult thing for a newbie to learn.

Is there really a difference between the Classic & Custom frames in the seating area, or between Custom model years? Or is it just the plumpness of the seat?
(can I just cut 1.8" off any Custom seat for the same 25.6" seat height experience?)

Thanks!

Newbie here! Well, mostly- 40 years off the saddle now making my return so looking for my learner bike- and being somewhat confused as to wither there are significant frame differences determining the differences in seat heights between the "Classic", "Custom" versions (28" vs 27.4" respectively for most 1997-2017 models) and especially the 1999-2002 Custom models at 25.6". It has been said the primary difference for 25.6" variety was in the shorter/thinner seat? Did it use the same frame as in the adjacent years 1998 & 2003 which were listed at the 'normal' seat height of 27.4"? Is the Custom frame different for those four lowest seat (25.6") years?

Why the question?
I am now 70 years young
Weigh 150lbs
5'-5" with 27.5" inseam

So bikes with seat heights at or below 27" work best for me and the lower the better for this learner! And I can still pick up a light 525lb bike when I tip over!
Also the lower seat & center of gravity make it easier for me to do low speed maneuvers- the most difficult thing for a newbie to learn.

Is there really a difference between the Classic & Custom frames in the seating area, or between Custom model years? Or is it just the plumpness of the seat?
(can I just cut 1.8" off any Custom seat for the same 25.6" seat height experience?)

Thanks!

We speak XS650 here. They were made from 1970 to '85. Perhaps you're thinking of a different model?

“Standard” & “Special” XS words ..
a 78 up Special may be the best to slightly lower.
A cut down seat is the best idea.
Shorter shocks (Honda Rebel) have been used to lower the overall height but if you do go much lower things like the exhaust headers and stands are going to scrape pavement just when the cornering is getting fun
🙂

“Standard” & “Special” XS words ..
a 78 up Special may be the best to slightly lower.
A cut down seat is the best idea.
Shorter shocks (Honda Rebel) have been used to lower the overall height but if you do go much lower things like the exhaust headers and stands are going to scrape pavement just when the cornering is getting fun
🙂
Sorry about asking about Vstar questions here. And I do want to maximize ground clearance while minimizing seat height. So I guess I am in the wrong place those questions on the 1997-2017 650 then?-
Another noob mistake!

Thanks for your response!!

Back