Simple Question About PMA

trentjanelle

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

On the new bike i just got the Alternator does not charge enough to charge the battery back up as i only get about an hour of riding.

I will need to obviously replace it, but will a PMA kit replace the alternator??? i will be running all the stock lighting and ignition. there are plans to up grade everything when i start my build but want everything to be running electrically and mechanically perfect.

Thanks guys i appreciate the help.:thumbsup:

HAHA awesome i knew what it stood for just not sure exactly what is was/is...

lets hope Hugh has one in stock for me.

Often just new brushes fix weak charging. It could be anything from a bad connection to bad parts. A few simple tests will tell you just what is wrong. It may be cheaper to fix what you have than swapping to a PMA.
First thing is get your battery load tested. You need a good battery for the charging system to work well.
If the battery is good put in new brushes.
If still a no charge read Curly's Charging Guide. Follow the steps and figuire out just whats wrong.
If you follow these steps as I just said you will have spent about $20 for the brushes and might have a good charging system.
If you follow Curly's guide and find a bad connection, a few minutes work can fix them. It will help you figure out what other parts are bad. Some can be replaced for around $30 to a few hundred if you need both a stator and rotor. In that case the PMA may be a good option. If just a reg/rec starting around $30 or a rewound rotor at around $130.
It's up to you. Do a few tests and maybe not spend $50 or get a $300 PMA.
Leo

I just did this PMA myself, it works great! Plug & play, ( mount, skratching head, removing old stuff, rebuilding plugs, and then - superb. Recomended!

trentjanelle;

Why don't you just repair your stock charging system? Do you have a worn out battery?

I was quoted $500 to fix the alternator where i live, and i think the battery if in good condition.

Often just new brushes fix weak charging. It could be anything from a bad connection to bad parts. A few simple tests will tell you just what is wrong. It may be cheaper to fix what you have than swapping to a PMA.
First thing is get your battery load tested. You need a good battery for the charging system to work well.
If the battery is good put in new brushes.
If still a no charge read Curly's Charging Guide. Follow the steps and figuire out just whats wrong.
If you follow these steps as I just said you will have spent about $20 for the brushes and might have a good charging system.
If you follow Curly's guide and find a bad connection, a few minutes work can fix them. It will help you figure out what other parts are bad. Some can be replaced for around $30 to a few hundred if you need both a stator and rotor. In that case the PMA may be a good option. If just a reg/rec starting around $30 or a rewound rotor at around $130.
It's up to you. Do a few tests and maybe not spend $50 or get a $300 PMA.
Leo

I will go and find the guide and have a read but everyone is saying the worth the swap anyway. thanks for the advice.

It's because i live in Western Australia... it's also $10.50 for ONE bottle of Corona at the local bar...

i agree with the above mentioned.. after 2 attempts to repair my outdated charging system.. i have purchased a PMA .. i will follow up once we install it ..

Do yourself a favor and buy a complete kit from mikes xs. If you have a single coil bike and/or tci ignition (1980+) you can't use the stock components.

Posted via Mobile

Nothing against mikes but everytime i email i don't get much... But everytime i email Hugh i get all the information i ask for and more. so i will be going with hugh. Plus his website has buy now for international buyer and instructions for dummies with pictures and all. Thats right up my alley!

Mike's has combined his PMA kit With a Pamco kit. So getting that kit gets you everything all in one kit.
As trentjanelle said the customer and technical support at mike's is pretty much nonexistant.
If I was doing a PMA swap I would get the kit from Hugh, the ignition from Mike's.
You will get great support on both right here.
Leo

Back