site slowdown?

How do you know? :D

Ive also had issues with pages running/loading slow(er) than normal recently.

That's going to seriously bite you in the ass performance wise if the board ever gets truly busy. Ask me how i know.

My personal settings for 'Thread Age Cut Off' won't seriously affect the site's performance.

The thread age cut off can be temporary set in the Display Options box in each forum. Skull probably switched this from 'Beginning' to 'Last 10 days'. Members can also more permanently set the 'Thread Age Cut Off' in their control panel to whatever they want including 'use forum default'. I wasn't referring to the forum default currently being set to show all threads, but was referring to how my control panel is set to 'show all' and I never change the setting in the Display Options box.

Even if having the forum default set to 'show all' was causing problems, I'd probably upgrade again before changing it. Most members already don't fully understand the features of this site, try telling them that not all the threads are being displayed because of a setting they need to change. I rather have it default to show all, and if users want to limit what they see, then they can change their settings. As with most of the forum settings, it's a balance between money, speed, and being easy to use and intuitive.

Yep. Now, add 2000 active users. It's by that point (if not a lot earlier) that it's going to bite you.

I probably should have specified that initially. Much as i love this board, i misdoubt it will grow past a couple or three hundred of active users.

No I understood what you meant by truly busy, but just to be clear, what is going to bite me?

Back