site slowdown?

angus67

Welder's penetrate deeper!!
Reaction score
Ive noticed over the past week or so my comp has been slow to post, or pull up websites, so I did the usuals, cleaned desktop of unused icons, de-frag, disk cleanup. a little better, then I realize it does it mostly here on this site. Did something change? anybody else haveing problems? Have the spammers moved in? We all try our best to catch the spam, but some still get thru, I suppose. Travis?

I've noticed the same from time to time. 'Cannot display page' or something. Usually refresh or go back to a previous page and try again and it comes up.
Just gave me a fit while trying to post this. WTF?

Having the same trouble, sometimes it takes so long trying to load i have to shut down the site and open it up in another page and then it's not 100% successful.

Noticed the trouble started in conjunction with the advertising:shrug:

The adds at the top of the page, internet is pretty slow here, I thought it was just firefox and AVG anti-virus competing with each other on my computer!!,

Ads what ads? No ads in my view, Then again I have contributed to Travis who is shouldering the site on his own dime, hint hint.

Nah, still no ads here, but things don't always happen so quick here in the bush :laugh:

no adds here either. but bloody fast this morning. I dont know. probably just my compy giving me a hard time.
And we all contribute to this site.

The traffic to this site has been growing like crazy. There are now about 300,000 page views per month. The ads some people are talking about appear if you are not logged in. They are only shown to guests and are not shown to members (who are logged in) and they do not slow down the site. I put them up a about a week ago to see if they would pay for the cost of upgrading servers. It looks like they will only offset costs of the upgrade but I'll be doing it anyway in the next couple of months..

According to the logs, on average, pages in this site take on average 1.8 seconds to load and they say that is faster than 74% of sites on the internet. The logs say the site is actually running faster now than it has since it was launched! :shrug: They don't take into consideration uploading to the database (replying to posts, uploading pictures, etc.) and I suspect that is what you guys are having problems with. The problem could be certain times of day during high traffic when there are so many calls to the database at one time.

Don't worry, if things get too slow, I'll definitely upgrade. I'm not trying to beg for donations or anything, but if enough people were to decide to donate in the next couple of weeks, I could do the upgrade sooner. But if not, it'll happen in the next couple of months anyway. Like Angus said, members contribute to site in one way or another, either with money, helping other members out, writing tech articles, or a combination of the three..... It's the guests who really don't contribute, and that is why I decided to display ads to them... so they could contribute too (even if it's just a little bit).

If it gets unbearable and you're positive it's not your computer or internet speed, let me know and I'll see if there isn't anything I can do to speed things up a little bit before the big upgrade.. :cheers:

There is no consistency to the speed and i usually cruse the site as a guest until i see something i want to see or contribute to............No complaints from here Travis and if the adds did slow it down then that's the price for such a great site and great job you are doing :cheers::thumbsup:

travis, i'm not bangin' your sight. I apologize if it seemed that way. this morning it seamed like a switch was flipped. way fast. I figures sunday mornings would be the most traffic, but no, jumped right in. Like I said, could have been my comp. cheers!!

Hey angus it may have seemed i was making you look like you were complaining in my post but that was the furthest from my mind.......... :doh:

Travis-

Id like to donate what I can to the cause. How do I get you the funds?

Click "About Us" in the upper navigation bar. :cheers:

travis, i'm not bangin' your sight. I apologize if it seemed that way. this morning it seamed like a switch was flipped. way fast. I figures sunday mornings would be the most traffic, but no, jumped right in. Like I said, could have been my comp. cheers!!

I didn't take it that way so no harm done. :thumbsup:

I was looking for this thread in the lounge.............. through the forum - lounge but couldn't find it and thought it had been moved......some idiot had changed the posts count to the last 10 days:banghead:

Back