surging idle, popping in left cylinder, right extremely hot

Visegrippe

lurker extraordinaire...
Reaction score
Got the bike running again, gas went bad and clogged the carbs, in a matter of 3 weeks, never saw that before.

anyways, figured out the kick-back problem, the advance gets stuck advanced, i'll have to try tighten the springs, also seems to be advancing at about 2200rpm. also bent another kickstarter... this thing really kicks back...

left side's popping pretty regularly in the exhaust, seems to be a bit rich, plug's more of a black than a dark brown. right side is a nice brown colour, maybe a bit dark, only problem is that it's boiling the high heat engine paint off the cylinder head. i know it runs hotter than the left, but this seems a bit extreme.
(this is just idling, no plates = no test riding)

the idle surges quite a bit, or at least regularly, it falls back down quickly when you blip the throttle, so i'm a little leery that it's too lean, also given the darkness of the plugs.

it will only idle at a fairly quick tick-over, about 1250 or so, bring it down it will run for a bit then quit.
the popping on the left side i'm pretty sure is an exhaust leak, from the sound, and the fact that it had been outside since the early 90's.
bike is a 79 special (canadian), carbs are running stock jets, stock exhaust (i think, the mufflers look a little unusual), and bored to 780cc. richening the pilots smoothed the idle, but didn't stop the surging. i still need to sync the carbs beyond eye-balling the butterflies, but it has enough trouble idling slowly on both cylinders that i'm not looking forward to trying the dead-cylinder method.

i'm guessing i'll start with the advance springs, any other suggestions?

You probably need to service the advance rod (remove, clean, and lube). The springs may be OK, the rod could just be hanging up from lack of lube. I would do that first before replacing or altering the springs.

Black plugs would indicate a rich condition but all the other symptoms would indicate a lean one. The plugs could be misfiring because of that screwed up advance and that might explain their darkness. The surging idle could be the advance hanging in the advanced position. As the ignition advances, the RPMs will increase.

I'm suspecting the advance as well, though while running you could see it going to full advance and back when giving it gas. I will def lube the advance rod, anyhow.

Good to know that I'm not crazy thinking it should be lean, from it's behavior.

Posted via Mobile

Back