Swapping BS34 internals

davekeck

XS650 Member
Reaction score
My carbs were working great on my 1982 XS650SJ until yesterday when I managed to crack the body of a carburetor. (The previous owner forced the wrong size brass fitting into the carb's fuel inlet port, which I only realized after trying to screw it in.)

I just bought a used set of 1982 BS34s, and since tuning carbs is a bitch and my current ones work so well, I was wondering if I could just swap all the internals from the old carb into the new one? My main concern is whether the gaskets usually withstand reassembly.

Thanks!

David

Should go well, full overhaul, new throttle shaft seals are best...... I always check and install new float valve body o-rings on BS34s.

My main concern is whether the gaskets usually withstand reassembly.

The only gasket I can think of is the float bowl gasket. I've had my bowls on and off probably dozens of times and the gaskets still work. They are black fiber stuff of some kind. I got new gaskets at one point but never put them on because the originals were doing fine and looked higher quality.

PS don't use the Mikes XS throttle shaft seals get genuine yamaha seals, they are still in production, about $3.50 each at boats.net.

Back