The rant

peanut I recently saw(on eBay) some one (other than Motolana)is making a rectangle aluminum tube swingarm. Maybe is decent? It would be better than stock?

thanks WE but I'm not looking for one for my 79 S2 I'm happy to keep my as original as it was when it was sold in Ohio all those years ago.

I was just remarking how odd it is that no one seems to have manufactured and mass produced one :shrug: When you think of all the thousands of XS650's on the road all over the world and how many are raced its odd is all:confused:

chiropractor's or a proctologist's office.

:mad::mad:
Not my favorite places
would rather be :bike: on a pillow (stuffed with ice)
but that's just me

I'm kinda glad I didn't hardtail my bike, I've already broken my neck on a cbr600, chiropractors and neck braces are no fun.

Some folks study motorcycle engineering as part of the hobby. Choppers are very stupid but custom motorcycles can be very cool. The underlying difference is whether the bike is better than what the factory built. Speed, handling, looks, tradition and comfort all play a part. As a rule I like all motorcycles but the amount of clueless kids that want a chopper for their first bike is crazy.

Why aren't struts being fabricated for the custom market? There is not a better way to lower the rear of a bike than struts, it's as low as you can go. After Experiencing the struts, the rider can still use shocks.

Tom

custom struts are out there if some one want them e bay is the best source

Fred he kept the swingarm and forks so it must be good then?

Attachments

• Hillbilly Engineering.jpg
    Hillbilly Engineering.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 163
Lol...you old guys sure are grumpy ....somebody change their depends and put matlock on the tv...it'll settle down in a bit when their meds kick in...its true though ...as part of a gereneration more than a few decades separated from the posters above (im pushing 40)..i ve rarely had to use hand tools..cause these days we have a marvelous invention called electricity...i cant imagine what it must have been like trying to reengineer a swingarm bushing in a cold damp cave whilst fighting off sabertooth tigers and mammoths...you're truly from the greatest generation....or maybe just think you are...please save me from making the mistake of personal choice..shit ...i almost didnt respond ...but it sure is fun knowing you old guys get all riled up...lol..have a grapefruit , sit by a nice window and grumble about us youngsters...i hope i expire before i get so rancid as to forget that people can make whatever choice they want...and that my opinion matters not.

Lol...you old guys sure are grumpy ....somebody change their depends and put matlock on the tv...it'll settle down in a bit when their meds kick in...its true though ...as part of a gereneration more than a few decades separated from the posters above (im pushing 40)..i ve rarely had to use hand tools..cause these days we have a marvelous invention called electricity...i cant imagine what it must have been like trying to reengineer a swingarm bushing in a cold damp cave whilst fighting off sabertooth tigers and mammoths...you're truly from the greatest generation....or maybe just think you are...please save me from making the mistake of personal choice..shit ...i almost didnt respond ...but it sure is fun knowing you old guys get all riled up...lol..have a grapefruit , sit by a nice window and grumble about us youngsters...i hope i expire before i get so rancid as to forget that people can make whatever choice they want...and that my opinion matters not.

you'll be old sooner than you think,I been choop'n for most of my life started with bicycles ( way befor the bmx bikes came out ) and lawnmower engines and got bigger from that,I've been fast and now, I like slow ( if 70-90 is slow ) (fast is 140-180) lol so I gess I'm old but your never too old to chop,so keep chop'n

Fred he kept the swingarm and forks so it must be good then?

Hi 'rider,
mock all you like; although that unit is a homebuild you can buy those giant training wheels out of a catalog.
Met a guy at a bike rally who had one of the commercial versions on his 'wing.
He used it to bring his trail bike along to ride on local dirt roads.

We all age...an old man ranting about the crappyness of choppers is akin to a younger man ranting about having to spend asmall fortune on a 30+ yr old bike when his appliance like r6/gsxr has a million times the performance...your opinion about choppers is exactly that ...your opinion...i've worked with the elderly and the infirm...the only gift granted to elders is that they have lived long enough to recognize their errors...it shouldn't compel them to spew it about ...let me have whatever dangers befall being the owner ofa chopper..thats why im building it..you ride whatever you please if you can still throwa leg over it...and keep on doing whatever it is that makes you happy...

- - - i hope i expire before i get so rancid as to forget that people can make whatever choice they want...and that my opinion matters not.

Hi Pirate,
OTOH, I hope you survive with vigour into extreme old age.
Then if you see someone making from what you know from experience to be a bad choice you can tell them:-
"Don't ride that hardtail Herbert, you'll get slipped discs and haemerrhoids"

Dont think i'd ever say something like that...i also have a personal rule about not havin friends named herbert.lol..truth is ..if i ever get to such an age...i'd look at that young chopper freak and think " right on , ride the shit outta that chop..ya silly basterd"..all said rider would see i an old man cheerfully remembering the joy of being young and stupid..i can actually guarantee i wont hit 60 let alone 80 years of age(personal health issues)..im living on borrowed time as it is...we're all gonna die ; some of us just sooner than others, i'm living as much as i can now...then again i could hit by a bus crossing the road...

Lol...you old guys sure are grumpy .......but it sure is fun knowing you old guys get all riled up...lol...

Haha, yeah, I hear ya. I have fond childhood memories of playing in the sandbox with other children, and one would have a tantrum because everyone wasn't playing with the sand 'his way'. Kinda reminds me of that 'Big Bang Theory' episode where Sheldon complains: "They're not having fun right". Not to worry, some folks here just have a special aversion to hardtails, they have their reasons, and no form of logic can reverse that. Reminds me of those Maury shows where the guests display horror when exposed to puppets, cotton balls, and frogs.

By all rights, I was supposed to die from cancer at age 48. Was granted a reprieve, and I'm now on the 'bonus round'. Sure changes your perspective on what's important in life...

Can't lie twomany you seem like an old wheel with plenty of tread left. If i ever make it to Texas I'd want to shake your hand you've put a lot out there that I've read and thought on.

A reprieve I think not, business left unfinished i'd say!!

And thats to all of you guys. I've been taggin around here but you guys all have the know how, practicality, and 36grit criticism I like.

I appreciate being apart of yalls community.

Toomany: i'm always trying to rationalize others ideas or perspective....i'm honest but horribly sarcastic...i have fun at others expense more than one should...i'm not the devil or a saint ...just trying to wrap my head around the bigger picture before the lights go out...i've wanted a chopper since before i could ride my first bike ...i grew up in downtown east end toronto surrounded by bikers...tell me what five year old doesnt think a pack of crazy choppers rippin right passed your car isnt the coolest thing in the world...i'll always remember it...that and hearing my dad grumble something about dirty hippies...he was trying to sound pissed off...i could see his eyes were alittle wide and he looked kinda jelous...i think deep inside him , he was saying and thinking something entirely else...

Me I built my first chopper in 1969 not because I had a idea in my head I just could not touch the ground on the stock bike HAHA. Then after people started to come up to me and say where did you get that from DOWN HILL ALL THE WAY. I was in business ..
My first bike was a TRIUMPH and when I picked it up 30 miles away from my home I jumped on it like a dirt bike and ran lights and stop signs because if I stopped I fell.
Building choppers in the 60's and 70's was cool .Some were really crazy looking and others were just changed seats and tanks and my tool box had a hacksaw hammer monkey wrench and some screw drivers. Later I bought a tourch and I though I had it made. Now 5 shop later and much much dollars I have more tools that I know what to do with. Back then bikes were cheap so it didn't matter if you cut it up and it came out bad. My first real job I was paid $2.75 a hour so it was clear have my own shop. I think its very cool that guys want to keep a bike stock and show it that way. But I was never that guy and I cut stretched lowered everything that was mine. In 1980 I was the first JAMMER DEALER in the PA NJ NY area and you had to pay to get the franchise. I thought I was on top of the world WRONG!!!!! wasn't worth it. Then when I bought into a HONDA DEALERSHIP again I thought I was the shit WRONG AGAIN!!! worked my ass off and had to keep on the toes of the sales people from HONDA.
So you young guys who want your own shop call me up and I will tell you all the don'ts and save you thousands of dollars. I now just build for myself bikes that I have in my head and I have given some away to the vets motorcycle club for charity.
Its not what you build or how you build it .....Its the fun you had doing it.:thumbsup:

- - - So you young guys who want your own shop call me up and I will tell you all the don'ts and save you thousands of dollars. I now just build for myself bikes that I have in my head and I have given some away to the vets motorcycle club for charity.
Its not what you build or how you build it .....Its the fun you had doing it.:thumbsup:

Hi DADDYG,
the most important thing to know is:-
You don't own the business, the business owns you.

Amen to that :thumbsup:

My whole life has been about building something ..anything and if I were honest I get more enjoyment out of whatever I'm building than actually using it .:(

- - - I can actually guarantee i wont hit 60 let alone 80 years of age(personal health issues) - - -

Hi Pirate,
I've had this scenario playing in my mind for some years now - - -
I catch some incurable agonizing disease and decide to end it all.
I carefully save a painkiller overdose, chug them down and sit in front of the TV.
Just after the paralysis sits in there's a news flash:-
Medical breakthrough! Instant miracle cure now available!
My last thoughts:- Oh, shit - - -
So hang in there, eh?