This should be titled "Did you ever have a day Like that?"

kshansen

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
My desktop computer is almost as old as some peoples motorcycles.

I have upgraded it a bit over the years with one SSD and also swapped in a second drive I salvaged out of one of the wife's old laptops.
Did that just to see if it would work and give me a second drive to save copies of files of my main drive. Well like the dumby I can be I forgot to mark on the drives them selves which was which!

Noticed that on my desktop screen there was a ? next to one of the drives shown. So I proceeded to shut down computer and remove drive to see if there was a bad connection or something I could see. I tried installing one at a time but just got blank screen when turning it on. First thought was that one was the problem and removed it and installed other drive still nothing.

I was thinking I might have to haul the computer to someone who knows more than me, not a big jump there! That's when I noticed something I forgot about the external drive I had plugged into the back of the computer a few years back. Removed that and guess what computer booted right up and ready to go.

But here is where the real problem hit. I wanted to reinstall the old laptop drive to check if it now worked, but now I can not find what I did with that drive. This "office" is all of about 8 by 12 feet and I have looked everywhere with no luck even crawling on floor under desk with flash light. No drive to see, and yes I opened the computer and checked inside at least three times!

I'm sure some day I will find it but hope I recall what it was for when I do!

Can hardly believe it the lost sheep(spare drive) is home!

For probably the 10th time I was going through desk drawers and just happened to look at the right angle into the drawer where I keep my spare ink cartridges and a thin shinny edge caught my eye. Sure enough it was the missing drive. One problem with those laptop drives compared to the old desktop drive is how thin they are, maybe 1/8 inch or so!

PS installed it and right now it seems to be working just fine. I am still thinking about getting another SSD drive not sure what the lifespan is on a laptop drive and this one has to be over five years at least

Just took a look at label it says 13 June 06, yea think that might be a little old!

Last edited:
Back