Tropical Cyclone downunder

I'll bet. The vieos you posted were really frightening Mick.

I'll bet some of the children were really scared although some of the younger ones probably just thought it was all good fun - while the 10-18 year old kids were scared because they realised what a dangerous the situation they were in.

My girls were frightened as much as I was, I just didn't show it to them, you have to remain strong when the crap is on, they look to the man in the home for reassurance and if your cowering in the corner it's no good to anyone

I would never wish something like this on any one but to be honest when it was fist reported as heading for Mission beach i felt quite sick.............Going through 2 in 6 years was bad enough but having a 3rd hit us in 12 years was a daunting feeling..............I;m sorry to say i did wish it to go elsewhere

Went from this Nov 2005..........to this April 2006......After recovery............ to this feb 2011
2. 30-11-2005  pre Larry.JPG3a 4-4-2006 Larry.jpg4. 4-2-2011 Yasi.JPG

2nd pic is the after math of Larry, low cat 5 that went over the coast about 25klms north of us. 3rd pic is Yassi cat 5 and the eye went over us with winds gusts up to 300kph, faster than Debbie but it traveled faster as well.

House was built around 1970 so no cyclone rated building codes used. The trees saved the house

Sorry Mick.

Last edited:
Man I'm glad you and yours made it through without injury ! and that Chia kept on working for ya ! Please don't Hot fuel her again !!!!
yes you can do it but eventually your luck will run out and You will wind up in the hospital with serveir burns if not dead !!!!
I know I did the same thing.... refueld a generator without turning the thing off.... one time for no reason it lit up and the flame danced on the poring stream of gasoline I tossed the can and ran it went woosh ! and I had a heck of a time putting out the grass fire it started ! .....
I was super lucky the can could have blown up in my face ! ..... Jerry cans are safer so they say their large openings allow the pressure out...
the small Plastic can I used melted .... Never again...I will not hot fuel a generator I don't care whats on TV !!!!!!
...... Your front yard ( the slope to your house ) looks as if some big critter came by and ate everything green ! and it hurts me to see so many topless trees......... You were lucky Mick.... glad you made it !
Bob.......

Skull, your right, both Larry and Yassi were mothers, after Yassi I was up at Mission beach visiting a friend, the devistation was way worse than we had, what a mess.....

Bob, your right too, hot fuelling is bloody dangerous and I was somewhat foolish in doing it. After 12 days I was getting smarter with my thinking that luck was going to run out sooner or later so I stopped the gennie durning the day to fuel, at night it was hot fuelling. Low octane fuel is not as volatile as the stuff I throw at the 650, I think that's what saved a fire storm. Won't be doing that again

Holy cow. That's all I've got. What you folks have dealt make our issues seem pretty trivial.

Be safe guys.

I hear ya Pete ! makes 3 ft of snow seam like childs play and 60mph winds like a mild breese ! never been in one of those and I have no desire to either !
I Understand staying to look after the place.... I did that in a forest fire..... but it's very risky business I think sense I have grown older I don't like the idea of hospitals near as much... so if I ever have a forest fire on my place again I will just grab the Dogs and go ! ...my family will already be Gone ! LOL
I mean obviously you want to save your house but when Mother nature strikes with such ferosity there really isn't much you can do anyway and then you can become a liability yourself just from being there. getting away with it one time does not guarentee the same results the next time....
Bob............

Back