UPS

The key in that is trained in its use. The amount of people who carry that have never been to a carrying course is insane. Ive seen way to many videos of people trying to do the right thing that get themselves or other killed by hesitating or not waiting for their moment. Need to be responsible, carrying is one hell of a responsibility
Hi Jessee,
yeah, vehicle deaths far outnumber firearm deaths. Operating 2000lbs+ of vehicle on a public highway is the most hazardous act that most people do.

Hi Jessee,
a case could be made that everyone should carry a personal firearm and be trained in it's use.
Betcha most mass shooting perpetrators would hesitate to open fire on a crowd that is able to shoot back.
Universal service seems be a good way to train the populace. Seem to work out well for the Swiss.

The key in that is trained in its use. The amount of people who carry that have never been to a carrying course is insane. Ive seen way to many videos of people trying to do the right thing that get themselves or other killed by hesitating or not waiting for their moment. Need to be responsible, carrying is one hell of a responsibility
Here in Fla., we probably are near the top in the # of carry permit holders. We are the model that many other states have followed with carry laws. We require training to get a permit and the # of permit holders that have lost their right to carry is less than 1% if memory serves me correctly. Studies have shown permit holders to be extraordinarily law abiding.

No arguments from me on any of this. Been carrying myself for a few years now, still have the scars on my knees from all the blowing I had to do to get them in RI and CT. I simply think more carriers need to be trained outside of classroom and static range time. I thought I was a decent shot until I took a non static class and god I was trash. Really opened up my eyes to some scenarios

In just over a decade, the number of states plus the District of Columbia where gun deaths exceed motor vehicle deaths has increased from just 13 in 2010 to 35 in 2020—a jump of 169 percent. Complete state-by-state tables showing firearm deaths and rates and motor vehicle deaths and rates for 2010 and 2020 are contained in the analysis below.
cargunbargraph.jpg

In just over a decade, the number of states plus the District of Columbia where gun deaths exceed motor vehicle deaths has increased from just 13 in 2010 to 35 in 2020—a jump of 169 percent. Complete state-by-state tables showing firearm deaths and rates and motor vehicle deaths and rates for 2010 and 2020 are contained in the analysis below.
cargunbargraph.jpg
You do realize that that number also includes suicides, don't you?

Here in Fla., we probably are near the top in the # of carry permit holders. We are the model that many other states have followed with carry laws. We require training to get a permit and the # of permit holders that have lost their right to carry is less than 1% if memory serves me correctly. Studies have shown permit holders to be extraordinarily law abiding.

No judgement on gun laws or on the state of guns in general in the US...........

Between 2007 and 2021 there have been 98 Concealed carry Killers in Florida.

Any homicide that is legally determined to be in self-defense is documented and removed from the Concealed Carry Killers database and the ongoing tallies.

https://concealedcarrykillers.org/florida/

Data taken from here
https://concealedcarrykillers.org/

Last edited:
You do realize that that number also includes suicides, don't you?
Yes i do. Suicide by gun is also a gun death. Just as pedestrians killed by cars are considered motor vehicle deaths

Would some one still kill themselves if they didn't have access to a gun.............in a lot of cases yes they will find another means but it also makes it harder and with time and reflection it may help to change the persons mind............what the gun does is make it easier to do it now

Yes i do. Suicide by gun is also a gun death. Just as pedestrians killed by cars are considered motor vehicle deaths

Would some one still kill themselves if they didn't have access to a gun.............in a lot of cases yes they will find another means but it also makes it harder and with time and reflection it may help to change the persons mind............what the gun does is make it easier to do it now
Tell that to the Japanese where guns are basically illegal, yet their suicide rate dwarfs that of the U.S. Jumping from bridges and buildings, a favorite form in Japan, is pretty easy to do, now.

That is cultural pressure

lol............Cant compare Japanese culture on saving face to the US or any other western country...................

That is cultural pressure

lol............Cant compare Japanese culture on saving face to the US or any other western country...................
It's still death by suicide. I hate to even bring this up, but culture plays a huge part in American murder rates. We have a certain minority group in this country that comprises 13% of the population, yet they commit 54% of the homicides. They are also more likely to be the victims of homicide. We also have another minority that is lumped in with the majority white population, although most of them aren't white, that also have a high propensity for violence. No one likes to talk about it, including me, but it's the way it is. You would only have to live in cities with a large minority population and watch the evening news to understand this.

Here is a question for you...............Is it cultural or social economic that is the cause of the minorities being over represented in some of the statistics??

Here is a question for you...............Is it cultural or social economic that is the cause of the minorities being over represented in some of the statistics??
I'm trying to tread lightly here. Not a discussion we have in Texas very often.

Yes and yes. The big problem is drugs, drug trafficking and alcohol.

Throw in in lack of crime prosecution in most of the major cities and you get the numbers we are seeing now.

In the 1980's during the oil boom in Houston the Houston Police dept. that estimated that 90% of the vehicles in the city had a firearm in them. It was actually a pretty safe place because it was general accepted that if you went jacking with somebody there was a good chance you would end up facing a firearm.

Traditionally Texas has few gun controls but the laws we do have been enforced vigorously.

My $.0.02 worth.

Well then there is little WV, concealed carry with no permit required and open carry too. If you're 21 or older, a legal resident of US and not adjudicated mentally disqualified or a felon, it's A ok.

One just assumes everyone is armed.

Cultural mostly. I grew up very poor, but I had a father who enforced good behavior and morals. Over 75% of the 13% are born out of wedlock and most of them have very little in the way of positive male role models, therefore the street gangs become their family. In Appalachia, it is grinding poverty for most, yes they have crime, yes there are murders, but nothing like the inner cities. I went to a school that was 40-45% minority. Twice I was physically attacked by groups of minority students for being white. How can that be economic? Most members if that group are not violent thugs, but a significant % are. They are taught from an early age by politicians and activists to blame their misfortune on someone else. My father, along with most people of all races, kept his nose to the grindstone and just kept working. One of my co-workers when I worked at the Mercedes-Porsche dealership was the grandson of a sharecropper. Andy, the man I'm talking about, his father made it to third grade and was a subsistence farmer and general laborer for a trucking co. Andy graduated high school, served in the army and when he got out went to work sweeping floors at the M-B dealership. He had mechanical ability and was promoted to the service department. Mind you, this was the American South in the early 1960's. He went on to become a Master Tech, the first black certified M-B Master Tech in America and spent his entire career there. He had 2 daughters. both achieved college degrees. One became a nurse, the other a the manager of one our largest hospitals. Andy's family went from sharecropper to executive in 4 generations. How? Hard work and no excuses. One of Andy's father, Willie's favorite sayings was "An excuse only satisfies the man that's giving it".

Well then there is little WV, concealed carry with no permit required and open carry too. If you're 21 or older, a legal resident of US and not adjudicated mentally disqualified or a felon, it's A ok.

One just assumes everyone is arm
"Civility is the lubricant of society."
"An armed society is a civil society."
I think it matters not in which order these two quotes are presented.
Ever notice how nice people are at gun shows and shooting ranges?

I'm trying to tread lightly here. Not a discussion we have in Texas very often.

Yes and yes. The big problem is drugs, drug trafficking and alcohol.

Throw in in lack of crime prosecution in most of the major cities and you get the numbers we are seeing now.

In the 1980's during the oil boom in Houston the Houston Police dept. that estimated that 90% of the vehicles in the city had a firearm in them. It was actually a pretty safe place because it was general accepted that if you went jacking with somebody there was a good chance you would end up facing a firearm.

Traditionally Texas has few gun controls but the laws we do have been enforced vigorously.

My $.0.02 worth.
I asked a good friend of mine who served 30 years in the Jax., Fl. Sheriff's Dept what he thought the percentage of shootings was that involved drugs and/or alcohol, 90% was his answer.

"Civility is the lubricant of society."
"An armed society is a civil society."
I think it matters not in which order these two quotes are presented.
Are you saying

"Civility is a product of being armed"
"Society cannot be civil without being armed"

Or like the joke says...........what do you call a man with a gun...............anything he wants

Back