UV-cure "Instant" epoxy - Neat Stuff!

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I bought some on a trial basis a while back. Mini kit with three types of epoxy (thin, thick and flexible) and a UV flashlight.

I had a nasty suspicion it was smoke and mirrors, but that stuff really works! Put a little in the joint, hold things in place, zap it with the UV for a few seconds and PRESTO!

Handier than a pocket on a shirt!

I see they make it in bulk for larger "pours" with a much more powerful UV light. A bit spendy to buy just to see how it works, but next time I want to do a water feature or something like that, I'll probably spring for it.

We have a 3D printer in work that uses the same principle, the base is dipped in glue and a UV laser is shone in a pattern based on the model been printed. The base is dipped again and the laser shone again, layer by layer until the print is complete. It works really well, and the parts are quite strong.

The dentist uses similar technology these days too. So you know it cures hard as hell.
Yep know that first hand! It is even XS650 related!

A few years back on one cold winter day I decided to take a short test ride on my 1982 XS650, just a quick run down the drive and back to the garage. Tires were probably over 15 years old. Down to end of drive and pulled a u-turn back to garage then touched the brakes to stop and the glass hard tires went right out from under me.

Upper right incisor snapped off as well as a hole in right side case of the engine so a little blood from tooth mixed with a lot of oil from engine on the driveway.

Doctor Rebeca managed to build a new lower half of the tooth and it is still working good today!

Back