Way off topic question, Caulking shower stall?

kshansen

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I know there are people on this site with a wide range of skills and real jobs so I thought that I would run this by the collective.

About a dozen years ago we had an addition put on the house that included a bathroom for master bedroom. I could write a book on the problems that those SOB's caused!

Anyhow this bathroom included a shower with a fiberglass floor tub/pan and ceramic tiles on the walls. Problem we have now is the caulking at the intersection of walls and floor pan is cracking. I'm thinking the caulk/grout they used was too hard and either the slight movement of the walls form changes due to expansion and contraction from temperature changes over the year or maybe very slight flexing of the floor pan has caused this cracking.

Just wondering if there is a product that would have a bit of flex to it to if not stop the cracking at least last a few years before I would have to redo it again. I was thinking of a silicone sealer but not sure if there is something better. The color of tiles on wall and the floor pan are what I would call light tan so I would not want a bright white silicone sealer, does it come in light tan?

Back in my plumbing days our go to was DAP latex or siliconized latex caulk. Cleans up with water, easy to apply, comes in clear, white, bone and biscuit IIRC. Should be able to get it at most hardware stores or Home Dumpo/Lowes ect.

Back