What goes in these hole's for crank bearing's

CalsXS2

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I pulled my crank and noticed something odd. In the bottom case, all these little hole's seem to have some type of plug worn away. I can see trace's of what's left, and there was one that clearly had a hole worn through it. Unfortunately, it went flying before I could take it's pic. It must be camera shy. :D

The first pic shows the top case where everything is still intact. All these plug's are flush,,like they were machined. Next 2 pic's are the bottom case and shows what's missing.

They are still all there in the top case. What are these, and should I be concerned about the missing one's. Thanks.

xs166-1.jpg

xs164-1.jpg

xs168-2.jpg

Nothing to worry about. The upper case has all the locating pins and oiling ports. The rest of the crank bearings don't have anything that lines up with those on the bottom case... But DO make sure you line up the crank perfectly in the upper case and get the bearings to seat properly when you reinstall it...

The steel inserts are cast into the case. The holes are filled by the alloy casting. These hold the inserts from turning.
After casting the cases they bolt an upper and lower together, then line boring the inserts to the right size and straight in the cases.
In the pic of the upper case the holes closet to the pins are oil ports to feed oil into the bearings.
As Hugh says don't worry about them.
Leo

The locator pins in mine are barely protruding, is this a problem?

Also the outer race on a crank bearing just slides right off--uhm should it?

As long as the bearing races can lock on the pins, then they protrude enough.
On the bearings the two center and one outside one, yes. The drive side has a ball bearing and it should not come apart.
Leo

Back