What to do first (carb question)

curt698

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok so last year got my bike running for the first time in over 30 years. It was stored in well and in great shape just hadn't run. The PO bored it to a 750 before getting side tracked so it had carbs on it (38 minkunis (sp?)) but he couldn't remember what bike the carbs came from. So the bike ran enough to get me around on short rides and I played with the jets a little but never got it right.

NOW, I want to remove the stock airbox and move to cone filters. Should I put the filters on and then go back to messing with the carbs or mess with the carbs and get it right before changing something else??? BTW I have no F'ing clue what I am doing, this is a learning project 100%.

Thanks for your input,
Dave

First off, Dave, if those carbs match up to the air box you have stock XS650 BS38 vacuum carbs, unless some serious custom fitment has been done. To identify just which ones you have, take a look at the XS650 Carb Guide at www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf and at the carb identification page at www.mikesxs.net .

My advice to you would be to inspect, clean, adjust, and tune the carburetors with the OEM air box first (see the Carb Guide for procedures, specs, and suggestions). That will limit the variables you need to address in tuning and trouble shooting, and put you very close to what you should need with the pods. BTW, those vacuum carbies don't like cones and they'll let you know it. Use either tapered oval filters from K&N or Uni foam filters.

Back