What's more expensive than a free puppy?

hole.jpg

Truck landed here today. Preliminary inspection reveals that it's a bit rougher than I had hoped but no deal breakers yet. I can post pix if anyone is interested.
The Toyota guy on youtube had one of those in. He said the common use of them for snowplough duties was an engine killer, as they're not really up to it.
That, and rot issues, doomed many of them to the scrapyard.

It sounds like what happened to a lot of the Tacomas of similar vintage. Whether it was bad steel, or something else (like salt on the roads in winter), the frames just don't last. Around here, the scrapyards are full of vehicles (of all makes) with relatively low miles, that are total rust buckets with good drive trains. Rust-proofing my eye. With all the alloys, galvanized sheet metal, and whatnot, rust-proofing only clogs the drain holes designed in to prevent rust. As Neil Young sang: "...rust never sleeps...".

The guy SAID the frame had been repaired. Mebbe so, mebbe no, but I'm done messing with it. Neighbor made a cash offer that will do me a little better than break even and I'm gonna take his money and run.

And yes, he's seen the hole in the frame. I'm not nearly enough of a welder to work that far out of position, so we'll make up a template using Cardboard Aided Design that will fit on the inside of the frame channel and then bolt it in.

Assuming, of course, that the frame isn't so stinkin' hard the bit skates instead of cutting...

Back