would like a shipping cont. to project in

angus67

Welder's penetrate deeper!!
Reaction score
Hi, Guys!
for a while, since I bought my first home four years ago, i've always thought it would be a great Idea to buy a shipping container to weld, cut, grind, whatever in.
Right now , I have a attached two car garage, surrounded by 1&1/2 acres, so I have plenty of room for a container.
I've been scouting the interwebs, and from what I gather, they go for about 4g's.
But they arenew. Im sure there are some old crusty ones out there that I would be fine with, but , of course, no company wants to sell a cont. with a smashed in corner, or a trailer that is all crusty. Any ideas in the washington state area?
I would want to buy the biggest I could afford, as I would want a "living" area. couch, tv, stereo, then the back 3/4 could be the project zone. I'm thinking 54 footer, bigger, the better. My wife is a 8yr trucker with 5yrs otr under her belt, Im sure she could talk her boss into using a tractor to get one home.
I'm not finding any websites offering what i think would be good, they all sell new, or near new trailers.
Anybody else use a shipping container for a shop? I get paranoid when I throw sparks in my garage, and I would like to actually use my garage as a repair spot for my cars.
Im going to post this in the wanted ads also, just putting it here to get some ideas, or help in locating one. Thanks guys.

I emailed a friend I have who has a couple and he got them from a place locally here.

"I paid $1,000 for mine but that was 8 years ago. At that time 20 foot containers and 40 foot containers cost the same. They cost twice as much or more now. Also, I had a trailer that would haul mine so I had no delivery cost. Best thing to do now is watch Craigslist and ebay. Or drive around to the intermodal places and ask (which is how I found mine)."

In washington state? Try BJs trucking in Williams lake bc. They haul south all the time, my buddy just got one for $1000.00. I've had one back hauled by them from California to BC

hi i like the use of shipping containers ,, a few years ago i rented 1 as i didn,t have a storage room ,, it was just what the doctor ordered,,,,and i,ve always wanted to build myself a container house,,, i figured i would need to use 5 - 40ft containers... its nice to have pipe dreams regards oldbiker

It's my understanding there are plenty of containers sitting around because the US imports a lot more stuff than they export. Short of shipping empty containers BACK overseas, they apparently languish in US truck yards.

You might search on "shipping container home" or shelter, because there's an effort to convert containers into livable spaces...especially for "preppers" and "greenies".

http://fabprefab.com/fabfiles/containerbayhome.htm

http://www.containerhome.info/

You could always go to a big truck stop and ask the truckers if they know of empty containers for sale.

I'd love to have one in my backyard.

I can get them for $350 in crappy shape, but useable. They are the short ones that do not extend. Wouldn't do you much good though as it would cost twice that to get it to you. :/

cooler than a shipping container, a train boxcar with the drive train removed. sliding doors on either side; one side for bike storage, the other for wrenching, good ventilation, and a more open feel than a 20ftx8ft wide closet.

It seems the only good deals to be had with shipping containers are a brother-in-law hookup. The cheapest I've seen through a container vender is $1200 plus another $1K or so for delivery. It'd be more cost effective to frame a new workshop with whatever floorplan your XS-heart desires.

That said, you might get lucky at a commercial scrap yard if they have a few collecting dust and taking up space. Or maybe a scratch and dent special from the local commercial on-site construction storage rental.

I'm curious to know if it's legal to tow a 20ft container on a fifth wheel without a CDL. Cost of hired transport is one big deal breaker for me.

Another idea, and this one's a long shot, is two roll-off dumpsters, one rightside up with the other upturned, welded atop of the first. The right industrial trusses would make for extra headroom and an awesome panoramic window.

here's to dreamin'

All it takes is money, time, space, and understanding neighbors.

wow. I'm sorry I missed it, too. What were the details? Were they sitting on his ranch property, is he a vendor, was he a middle man?

if the details might help in other's search for a container, fill us in.

Back