XS Frame VIN plate

TwoJugs

Excess XS
Reaction score
I stumbled across an interesting item. Looks like someone is making VIN plates in blank form. It might be a way to put a Yamaha VIN number onto a frame and get it registered? I think some states list the motor number on the reg? I bought a bike that came with a title that matches the motor numbers. The frame has no numbers anymore? The preivous owner took the motor from the damaged bike and put it into this frame. I am thinking about doing the plate on the frame. Use a stamp kit and a few hammer in rivets. With the motor matched up to the frame it should fly. The inspection and enforcement in Fla is pretty lax. I don't expect to have a problem being an "antique". If it were a 2 year old Harley or GSXR they might dig deeper. Check these out...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMA...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4154b41433

A frame or engine with no numbers is very suspicious to me. If I came across a frame with a plate on it that I knew should be stamped, I wouldn't buy it.

Having said that, in Wisconsin (at least in the area I live in), there is no inspection for vehicles. You can register anything you have a title for, but I still wouldn't buy anything where the numbers have been messed with.

This might be an easier way to get a home built frame registered? I guess if you start with the stamped Yamaha steering head there wouldn't be much to discuss. If you make your own from scratch the rules can be unreasonable or near impossible to get your bike on the road legally. A destroyed beyond repair frame that has a title might be a great candidate to build a bike from scratch and use those numbers for your creation. As he mentions in his ad, it is not illegal to change numbers or use false ones but if you have the damaged frame and the motor with matching numbers and a title then one frame is off the road forever and your new one takes its place. I would just be sure that the old frame with stamped numbers is surely destroyed so no one tries to rebuild it and duplicate your VIN again.

I think the law would look poorly on changing the vin of a frame. Right poorly.

I think 90% of the bikes we have here are sublect to the law removing them from the streets in some way. Being the open pipes, modified lighting, elimnation of brake systems, handle bar mods, fenders or lack of... Changing frame numbers is clearly a way to get in deep but that is not what the plate is designed for although probably used for in some cases. If you start with a pile of raw steel it has no VIN to change.

If you start with a pile of raw steel it has no VIN to change.

For a totally custom build they'd probably assign you a vin or exempt you or whatever they do. Trying that track sounds better.

I want to have my frame powdercoated and my VIN "plate" is a white sticker which is partially deleted. I was looking for an option to replace it when my frame will be ready and I think it is a good option. It is not the stock one but it will work great for me.

I have found a company here in canada who will make new VIN stickers from a photo of the original or one from the same year, if you can prove you own the bike i.e can show ownership

I am looking for a good quality photo of a VIN sticker for a canadian 1976 model so i can try them out, please anybody

if anybody wants the companies name and address please email me i will post

Back