XS650B Trip odometer knob replacement ?

Grewth

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I just bought a set of '75 clocks off a well known auction site.
Overall I'm pleased with what I got for my money, especially compared to some of the Mickey Mouse prices being asked by some vendors.
But annoyingly, the trip milometer knob has been sheared in half during transit.
All because the seller couldn't be bothered to pack the item properly.
I haven't even found out what holds the remaining bit onto the speedometer yet.
There seems to be a hole through the centre, so I'm expecting to find a small cross head screw down there somewhere, maybe not.
Well at least it hasn't broken off the shaft in the speedo.
I've never seen a new knob for sale anywhere, so I'm assuming that they are NLA a long time since.
Has anyone successfully made a replacement from anything ?
I think that I read something about using the cap from a toothpaste tube or maybe a tube of adhesive a while ago.
My memory fails me now.
Any practical suggestions please folks ?

Attachments

• 1688142449758-279531646.jpg
    1688142449758-279531646.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 43
Many thanks for that.
With the similarity between the RD250/350 speedometer and the units fitted to the TX500 and TX650A etc I think there's a good chance that will work.
I've just been promised a box full of '74-'75 instruments in bits.
In very poor condition apparently but fingers crossed........;) I might just get lucky

Many thanks for that.
I knew that I'd read it before somewhere, but I couldn't remember where or what was used to grip the shaft.
There's even a post from me on the one thread, dated September '22.
Just proves that I'm starting to go senile!
I'm getting like Homer Simpson.
Now when I learn something new, it seems to push some old knowledge right out of my head.

I'll make one from a valve cap and a masonry plug, and spray them black.
If I do that, Sod's Law will most definitely dictate that a good original one will turn up from somewhere

Ah so you won the 650b clocks on Ebay, I was tempted to bid on them for the rubber bulb holders and as a spares hoard. Would a tyre valve cap work?

Ah so you won the 650b clocks on Ebay, I was tempted to bid on them for the rubber bulb holders and as a spares hoard. Would a tyre valve cap work?
Tyre valve cap/raw plug is the first choice stop gap solution.
Hopefully I'll find out a trip knob off something else that will substitute long term.
The instruments are made by Nippon Seiki as with most Japanese bikes of that period, so hopefully the trip knob off the most mundane heap of crap might do the job

Back