Home Made Blasting Cabinet

h3llb3nt1

XSiv
Reaction score
I decided to soda blast my engine in the yard the other day. Clearly not the greatest of ideas

Attachments

• IMG_0391[1].jpg
    IMG_0391[1].jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
So I decided to build my own blasting cabinet and keep that shit under control:D

Attachments

• IMG_0363.jpg
    IMG_0363.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_0376.jpg
    IMG_0376.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0378.jpg
    IMG_0378.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 175
Almost done and this thing is bigger than I expected. Didnt really have a plan just an idea. Kinda like making burritos and you seem to always over stuff them

Attachments

• IMG_0390.jpg
    IMG_0390.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_0384.jpg
    IMG_0384.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_0383.jpg
    IMG_0383.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 191
Floor vent and an exhaust port to keep the dust down. Also a sliding shelf that can be easily removed for the bigger stuff

Attachments

• IMG_0387.jpg
    IMG_0387.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0388.jpg
    IMG_0388.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0389.jpg
    IMG_0389.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 166
I considered the same thing, then I realized how big it would be. I just use my 90 gallon recycling bin with a smaller trash can to set parts on. It collects all the soda for reuse.

:thumbsup:
I built one like that long ago, it worked great for years, got destroyed in one move or an other.
I ended up using a pair of coat sleeves screwed to the cabinet and wore gloves, it worked just fine. The interior of the coat sleeve was the air intake for the vacuum and it kept my arms comfortable too.

Had some of the materials lying around but if I had to buy it all I think I might have $150 in it maybe a little more.

It's amazing Gary what you can come up with on your own instead of just going out and buying it. Also nice to do things on the cheap with good results. I'll throw up some pics of what I blast this weekend.

To Willyguzzi53, I agree with you somewhat on the loss of nostalgia with the new bonnies but for a company to come back like that and produce a retro remake I think they did pretty damn good. There are a couple from the 60s in my area and its nice to see them out and still lookin good.

Yeah I can't picture what you mean about the water trap. Sounds interesting but im seriously running out of space. Any more tools and Ill have to build this bike in the basement.

That is a sweet setup. My dad and I built one years ago out of an old grocery store freezer and I used to blast car parts for a resto shop nearby. Never had a problem with the shop vac dying just cleaned the filter a lot. Biggest pain was changeing the glass after it was all beat up. I will see if I can find some pictures for you:thumbsup:

Posted via Mobile

Nice Work. The only thing I can think of is that you might want to line it with something. You'll probably get some debris collecting in the nooks and cranny's of that wood. Also, you may find yourself accidentally blasting the inside walls and having them fall apart. Just a thought.
When I tried soda blasting, I used a cardboard box lined with a trash bag as my cabinet. I was on my back deck and the soda killed the weeds growing underneath.. Bonus.

Back