Engine ID / wiring questions

Milk_Jesus

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok so I have some questions because I'm about ready to wire up my bike. First off, I don't know much about this engine (engines in general). I'd like for my bike to be kick only so I need info on my engine and how to go about that.

DBA-2D7DA1E09804-2537-000001A7C56853FD_zps358ee81e.jpg

D2E-E23A2831EC7A-2537-000001A7A4F2CABC_zpsdc213bc1.jpg

35F-ECAA062D78D3-2537-000001A761AEAF06_zps25c6394c.jpg

Let me know what other pictures are necessary to ID my engine.

Thanks!

There should be a serial number on the case, left front. Compare that number to the link of identifying your bike. If no serial number then I'd take a leap of faith and say its an '80 or '81.....TCI.

There should be a serial number on the case, left front. Compare that number to the link of identifying your bike. If no serial number then I'd take a leap of faith and say its an '80 or '81.....TCI.

Where is the engine id thread? Not coming up in my searches!

XS650 Tech button then go to bottom of the page.

ok i found it, but it doesn't have mine exactly. mine is 2F0-204... but it doesn't show any with the 204. Any ideas?

Ok so now that I have that taken care of (thank you!) where do I go to find out how to wire this bitch? I have a head light and tail light and that's it for electronics. I want it to be kick only.

Per recent discussions Florida is going to want turn signals, brake light and probably a horn, go back up to tech/electrical, first post has several chooper wiring diagrams.

Per recent discussions Florida is going to want turn signals, brake light and probably a horn, go back up to tech/electrical, first post has several chooper wiring diagrams.

wooooah, since when? i meant to say break light too, but turn signals and a horn? where did you read that?

Link to statute found here; http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Rights/State-Laws.aspx?stateid=9

(2) Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer shall be equipped with electric turn signal lamps meeting the requirements of s. 316.234(2).
(3) Passenger cars and trucks less than 80 inches in width, manufactured or assembled prior to January 1, 1972, need not be equipped with electric turn signal lamps.

Horns & warning devices

Every motor vehicle when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with a horn in good working order and...

-Read More
section 316.271(1)
Every motor vehicle when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with a horn in good working order and capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than 200 feet.

section 316.271(2)
No horn or other warning device shall emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound or whistle.

section 316.271(3)
The driver of a motor vehicle shall, when reasonably necessary to insure safe operation, give audible warning with his or her horn, but shall not otherwise use such horn when upon a highway.
No idea on enforcement.

Link to statute found here; http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Rights/State-Laws.aspx?stateid=9

(2) Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer shall be equipped with electric turn signal lamps meeting the requirements of s. 316.234(2).
(3) Passenger cars and trucks less than 80 inches in width, manufactured or assembled prior to January 1, 1972, need not be equipped with electric turn signal lamps.

Not sure on the horn though. No idea on enforcement.

I guess I'll ask my buddies down here how they go around that. thank you!

"That means my `71 is OK, just need to work on the 80 inch now..."
as long as it's in Florida.....
But yeah I think 72 was the first year requiring turn signals on bikes.

down here the cops don't seem to bother the bikes without turn signals.
But it is the law and who needs the hassle.
And of course it always comes at the worse times.
Out of habit I use hand signals with the electric turn signals.
there is many choices for wiring here

I guess I should re-word my question. Now that I know what my engine is exactly, what do I need, top to bottom to wire my bike? I'm having a friend (that knows what he's doing) show me how to do the actual wiring, but he lives an hour from me and I'd like to make sure I have everything I need when I get there. I'm getting both head/tail lights from him, so I don't need those. I'm going to check tonight whether mine is a points engine or not (unless you can already tell that from what engine it is without me looking under the chrome caps). So here's what Im GUESSING I need:

-ignition key switch
-battery (would like to not use one if possible, but don't know what that entails)
-wires/tubing
-....???

To run the bike you need several thing. An ignition, a charging system, Battery lights and any thing else you want. Your engine is an 80-81. It used a TCI. In your picks you can see the pickups on the stator. Those work with the TCI box and a coil to create the spark for the plugs. Look around what you have for the TCI box and coil.
You also need a reg/rec and battery. Look for them.
Once you get all your parts found, look through the tech section for the link to Some electrical diagrams. Scroll down to find a diagram that has all the parts you have.
Wire accordingly.
To not use a battery you need to convert from the stock alternator to a PMA. This lets you run without a battery. Doing this conversion requires you replace the TCI ignition with some other aftermarket ignition. The PMA swap deletes the stock magnet and pick ups for the stock TCI. I might suggest the Pamco ignition, get the new one with the electronic advancer. Hugh's Hand Built for the PMA.
I might start with using the parts you have. Once you get the bike up and running, ride it that way. Doing the PMA/Pamco swap can be done any time.
To remove the starter just pull it off and block the hole in the case off. Some use the kit from Mike's, others use a freeze plug from the auto parts store. Search the site for starter removal or starter delete should find all you need on that.
Leo

To run the bike you need several thing. An ignition, a charging system, Battery lights and any thing else you want. Your engine is an 80-81. It used a TCI. In your picks you can see the pickups on the stator. Those work with the TCI box and a coil to create the spark for the plugs. Look around what you have for the TCI box and coil.
You also need a reg/rec and battery. Look for them.
Once you get all your parts found, look through the tech section for the link to Some electrical diagrams. Scroll down to find a diagram that has all the parts you have.
Wire accordingly.
To not use a battery you need to convert from the stock alternator to a PMA. This lets you run without a battery. Doing this conversion requires you replace the TCI ignition with some other aftermarket ignition. The PMA swap deletes the stock magnet and pick ups for the stock TCI. I might suggest the Pamco ignition, get the new one with the electronic advancer. Hugh's Hand Built for the PMA.
I might start with using the parts you have. Once you get the bike up and running, ride it that way. Doing the PMA/Pamco swap can be done any time.
To remove the starter just pull it off and block the hole in the case off. Some use the kit from Mike's, others use a freeze plug from the auto parts store. Search the site for starter removal or starter delete should find all you need on that.
Leo

You're awesome! Unfortunately I don't have any of those parts yet. All that came with the engine is what's in the pictures (and the cases). Are there particular coils,batteries,tci box I should get or just eBay?

Going with kick only you can run a smaller battery, some use one about the size of a pack of cigarettes. It is a .8 amp/hour battery but it serves the purpose. I wouldn't go that small, I might look for some thing in a 4 amp/hour. Search this site for smaller batteries will help there.
On a TCI box you need one from an 80 up XS650. They can be found on Ebay, but they may or may not be good. A bit of a crap shoot.
At this point I might use the Pamco ignition. It may cost a bit more now but will save you later. It has a warranty that is the best in the world, and the guy who designed it is a member on this site. His customer support is the best.
Mike's doesn't list the newest version yet. The one with the electronic advancer, but it is availible from Pamcoptete's ignition website, www.yamahaxs650.com
I would get the ignition with the e-advancer from Pete and the rest from Mike's Look at his kits. Then buy the parts you need that don't come from Pete. The Ultimate coil and advance rod, plug wires, caps and such.
I wouldn't buy the Iridium plugs from him. If you want them you can get them cheaper at Advanced Auto, around $7 each instead of the $10 each Mike's charges. I like the Auto Lite AP63 plugs. cost around $5 a set from Wal Mart. Run well and much cheaper than the iridiums.
On the reg/rec one from an 80 ups 650 will work. Most of the Yamaha's from then use the same reg/rec. If your not sure check the parts fiche at a place like boats.net to check the bike the reg/rec came from, if it uses brushes, or a feild coil it will work.
I know the Seca's and Maxims used the same reg/rec.
I use a regulator from a 75 Dodge Dart. Was $13 when i got it. About $7 dollars worth of parts from Radio Shack to build a rectifier.
A search of the site will find the info on how to.
Leo

Going with kick only you can run a smaller battery, some use one about the size of a pack of cigarettes. It is a .8 amp/hour battery but it serves the purpose. I wouldn't go that small, I might look for some thing in a 4 amp/hour. Search this site for smaller batteries will help there.
On a TCI box you need one from an 80 up XS650. They can be found on Ebay, but they may or may not be good. A bit of a crap shoot.
At this point I might use the Pamco ignition. It may cost a bit more now but will save you later. It has a warranty that is the best in the world, and the guy who designed it is a member on this site. His customer support is the best.
Mike's doesn't list the newest version yet. The one with the electronic advancer, but it is availible from Pamcoptete's ignition website, www.yamahaxs650.com
I would get the ignition with the e-advancer from Pete and the rest from Mike's Look at his kits. Then buy the parts you need that don't come from Pete. The Ultimate coil and advance rod, plug wires, caps and such.
I wouldn't buy the Iridium plugs from him. If you want them you can get them cheaper at Advanced Auto, around $7 each instead of the $10 each Mike's charges. I like the Auto Lite AP63 plugs. cost around $5 a set from Wal Mart. Run well and much cheaper than the iridiums.
On the reg/rec one from an 80 ups 650 will work. Most of the Yamaha's from then use the same reg/rec. If your not sure check the parts fiche at a place like boats.net to check the bike the reg/rec came from, if it uses brushes, or a feild coil it will work.
I know the Seca's and Maxims used the same reg/rec.
I use a regulator from a 75 Dodge Dart. Was $13 when i got it. About $7 dollars worth of parts from Radio Shack to build a rectifier.
A search of the site will find the info on how to.
Leo

Again, thanks for all the info man. What all does the pamco ignition kit save me
from having to buy separate? They're about $200 and the tci boxes alone I'm finding are about $100 so I'm trying to do whatever is cheapest for now, because I'm broke haha.

Back