Maybe pickin up a set a these

ThePirate

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found these vm34's on kijiji. I know nothing about carbs, but im a starting to read up on them . The seller has this to say about them :
I have*2 pairs of VM34.
They have*'primary type' needle.
They are jetted:
Primary: 40
Main: 180
Needle: 159-P0
Primary: 35
Main: 220
Needle: 159-P4*:

What do ya'll think ? Worth $100 or so ...he's also throwing in some various jets and diaphrams etc.

:smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke:I've been reading most of the threads about carbs on this site , as well as a few other ...elevation matters as far as i've read ...toronto is 567 ft above sea level ...in what ways i should i account for this in tuning ? Plan is run one set of carbs with a baseline tune to the dyno and let them fine tune it for street riding..the other set gets stripped down and i clean (sonic cleaning and polish) them ,set them up with my dyno tune...dunno plans are kinda like my bowel movements they're different everyday...its late ..im kinda all there tonight..:smoke:

Ok i hit that smoking smiley face once...lol...has my playbook become sentient?...or did someone install an app that knows yer baked....maybe its the forum....:yikes:

Twomany: dunno what diaphrams he's talkin bout , but i rarely say no when sellers are just throwin free sh!t in with purchases..i envision this guy pullin out the carbs and a box of used ladies contaceptives " you bought'em now you gotta take em!"

IamCarbon : Thank you sir , i know , i know...a carb jedi i am not overnight ( said in my best yoda voice)
Trying to read through more than a few carb guys

Heres pics ...what do ya'll think

Attachments

• IMG_00000048.jpg
    IMG_00000048.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_00000049.jpg
    IMG_00000049.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_00000052.jpg
    IMG_00000052.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_00000053.jpg
    IMG_00000053.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 86
Just keep reading and reading over and over again. Started to all make sense after a while of messing and kept messing around with these carbs. But finally got a good grasp on them. Take the brass out and see what jets and needles you actually have. Cleaned and blow out thorough. I think you have the same carb sides. (Not a left and right) pics are blurry?? But when installed you won't be able to access the idle screw.

And as for your elevation. You should be fine. Your pretty close to sea level. When you have to tune a bit Rucker is you are like 2k+ elevation. As air gets thinner as you get higher

Last edited:
I figured 90 bucks for four carbs can t be to bad...yes it seems they're either left sides or all right sides...i'll strip em , ultrasonic clean, buy all new brass and see whats what..hopefully i wont screw it up..i have been readin ...im not that old but have issues rembering shit due to some head injuries...takes me a while to retain info...smoking like an cheech and chong movie extra probably doesnt help but bleh....i'll digress

I figured 90 bucks for four carbs can t be to bad...yes it seems they're either left sides or all right sides...i'll strip em , ultrasonic clean, buy all new brass and see whats what..hopefully i wont screw it up..i have been readin ...im not that old but have issues rembering shit due to some head injuries...takes me a while to retain info...smoking like an cheech and chong movie extra probably doesnt help but bleh....i'll digress
Just give er a go.
nothing ventured nothing gained.
I don't have a head injury but I know what You mean about the 420 memory loss.
Just read it a few more times :shrug: :thumbsup:

Popped one apart today ...just cant get the lower flap thingy in the float bowl off...numbered as best i could..thoughts anyone

Attachments

• IMG_00000056.jpg
    IMG_00000056.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_00000057.jpg
    IMG_00000057.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_00000055.jpg
    IMG_00000055.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_00000059.jpg
    IMG_00000059.jpg