.022 long rifle amo

Hoarders are keeping supplies tight and manufacturers don't want to pump up production just to fill the distributor's shelves and create a hole in their own production schedule. Selling 100% of your production over time is a better business strategy than boosting to 150% for a short time then dropping back to 65-70% of capacity.
Related:
Possessing more ammo than you can carry is a false sense of security for conspiracy theorists. Stock piles present a target of value for an adversary or competitor. Dumb in my book.

Was looking for 60ss last month, same story here, empty shelves. Last week at wally-world, noticed 3 boxes hidden deep beneath clerk's counter. "Sorry sir, obama has restricted supplies" was the response...

Was looking for 60ss last month, same story here, empty shelves. Last week at wally-world, noticed 3 boxes hidden deep beneath clerk's counter. "Sorry sir, obama has restricted supplies" was the response...

Sounds like the clerk was holding it for himself when he got off work.

I haven't found .22 since December. Then yesterday, while visiting my son in college, I bought 3 boxes of plinking 40 grain CCI at Wal-Mart. I would have bought more but they only sold three max.

Tom,

Off to teach some soup cans not to mess with Tom.

whats the thinking behind that ? is it that .22LR rifles are more common and ammo more easily accessable previously to kids ?
Surely thats going to force more folk to go out into the wilds and blast away with full bore ammo ?

Out of a .45 and a .22 I'd know which I'd sooner have coming my way :yikes::D

^Nothing to do with kids. The only thing special about .22 from the demand side is that it's by far the cheapest caliber. Got to be the most common chambering as well.

^Nothing to do with kids. The only thing special about .22 from the demand side is that it's by far the cheapest caliber. Got to be the most common chambering as well.

so why is supply being limited ?

Always wanted a .22LR kit for my 1911 |Colt years ago:D

Yep, millions of .22 rifles and pistols out there, and the latest buy-up, along with the cost of copper and it's alloys (brass), has driven the price up HARD on larger caliber ammunition. Can't hardly find semi-auto caliber ammo anywhere. When people, can, they are hording it, not shooting it. One reason the 'ol .357 magnum is always around. I can go buy .38 Special and .357 right now if I wanted, but if I had a 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, .380, etc., I'd be shit out of luck.

what you're saying I can hardly believe !:eek: a shortage of ammo in the US ...crazy
I'd be reloading like mad with my Lee turret press:D

If you want to make some serious money you could create a shortage scare so that everyone stockpiled and you'd be made !:thumbsup:

what you're saying I can hardly believe !:eek: a shortage of ammo in the US ...crazy
I'd be reloading like mad with my Lee turret press:D

It's been ongoing for three or four years. Sometimes it eases up a little. Never noticed a scarcity of .22 before last year though. A reason for shortage of .22 that I never thought of might be because you can't reload it. I used to reload .223 using boat tail hollow points. Made for very cheap and very accurate shooting. I had an H-Bar Colt that I bought new for about $600 :) Very honestly it might as well have been a bench rest gun. I cleaned it like one in fact. My favorite rifle now is a .22 Glenfield squirrel stock. Accurate enough to be lots of fun, and was only $90, carefully selected at a pawn shop that for some reason had about a dozen of them. I'd have more of a collection if I had some place to shoot...

My favorite rifle now is a .22 Glenfield squirrel stock. Accurate enough to be lots of fun, and was only $90,...
Glenfield/(Marlin) Model 20 had mine since 1966 bedded the barrel in with bondo way back when, still a damn accurate rifle... many a raccoon and opposum have met their doom over the sights of this rifle, think I got mine for $15.00 :laugh:

Attachments

• S6300804.jpg
    S6300804.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 132
^Ha! That's it. I had found out my uncle was going to give my other uncle's childhood .22 to his ex-pat son instead of me, like he'd agreed to. So being in .22 rifle mode I went and got this one. I was in the pawn shop checking out the muzzles on all of them with a 10x magnifier :) I put a BSA .22 scope on it. It's a great rifle. Semi-heavy barreled I'd call it. Mine seems to be free floating up to the receiver so no need to bed it.

... I'd be reloading like mad with my Lee turret press:D ...

A tool we share, I've got the Loadmaster.

If you want to make some serious money you could create a shortage scare so that everyone stockpiled and you'd be made !:thumbsup:

You're onto something there, peanut.

I've noticed a pattern going on for 20+ years. A gun control threat is made, people buy-up/hoard, manufacturers ramp-up, sell-out, shelves empty, fear eventually subsides, repeat.

Alcohol, tobacco, firearms are heavily taxed over here. Guess where the majority of the cashflow goes. The same outfit that makes the threat. A successful machine...

back in 08 when the present admisnistration was elected we had the same prob with 22 ammo.lots of people dont remember this.i do. what i did was wait a year or so and then went and purchased about 20 bricks of 22 ammo.i think i gave 23 buks per 500 rounds at the most.

anyone who deluded themselves and did not think it would happen again is crazy.WAKE UP AMERICA! to be honest i dont think i have purchased any ammo since then.i have purchased different powders and primers and supplies tho to make my own ammo.i shoot mostly blackpowder now, its all i need to feed my family anymore.

Back