.022 long rifle amo

nice one xjwmx :thumbsup::D

Did you notice the cost of the shipping !:eek::yikes:

15 years ago when I was a classic handgun collector and shooter before the ban I use to get hand guns sent to me from firearms dealers in an ordinary cardboard box first class post only :wtf:
They often used to get left out on the doorstep for the day if you were out to work :laugh:

A few years ago, I restored a friend's Win 1890 pump, like those used at carnivals. As kids, he and his cousin tried to shoot fish, with the muzzle submerged. Bulged the barrel in 2 places, put it away for 60+ years. Had to swage the bulges out, relined it, derust, reblue, ...etc. Seen decent ones here go for $600-$1000...

Attachments

• Win1890-22wrf.jpg
    Win1890-22wrf.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 152
that certainly is a long barrel :eek:
The carnival rifles were a lot shorter of course. I remember winning a 1lt bottle of Whisky at a fair once by shooting the sting it was suspended by.

The guy running the stall never realised that my first shot had been a sighting shot on a white backdrop !:thumbsup: It was shooting 3/4" low and 1" to the left.

Hit the string on the third shot :D

Left him scratching his head over that one .

I guess most of the guns I used at the fairground stalls as a youngster in the early 1950's were probably turn of the century guns

I've been jonesin for a Ruger MKII pistol, which is sort of a cheaper, better Colt Woodsman that I was also jonesin for.

I've been jonesin for a Ruger MKII pistol...

Oh, yeah, I picked-up a problematic stainless MKII 10" KMK-10, with 2x stainless scope and Volquartzen grips at a gunshow for a song. After reworking it, it shoots 3/8" groups @ 25 yds, my best target pistol, it brought many trophys.

Solidly constructed, barrel/frame/sights locked together, only bolt movement. Definitly a good choice...

What was wrong with it?

Oh, man, It was a combination of poorly executed upgrading, neglect and abuse. Couldn't really tell unless you closely inspected it. Scope rail was wrong (different underside curvature), Scope erector tube swivel cracked, fogged lenses, dirt specs on crosshairs, receiver severely dirty, especially trigger/sear group, rough sear face, clogged firing pin channel, improper trigger stop, bad ding at muzzle (was dropped).

Young fellow selling it was kinda the dreamer type (If I put this, and this, and this on it, it'll look cool and be a $2000 pistol). Then abused and neglected it.

Sorta like some of the bikes we come across.

I've come to realize that 'gun show' and 'problematic' are synonymous and redundant terms. Knowing that, expecting same, and armed with a bore light, a sharp eye, and gun values 'blue book', you can work out some pretty sweet deals.

22S.jpg

:D

It'll shoot WAY better than I can anymore. Aimpoint and professionally installed and tuned Clark trigger.

It'll shoot WAY better than I can anymore. Aimpoint and professionally installed and tuned Clark trigger.

Very nice collection you have there, Downeaster. Many of my teammates used Aimpoints quite successfully. Having it shoot better than you can hold is good. WAY better is, unfortunately (*sigh*), the direction I'm headed.

Used to shoot competitively 20 years ago, these are my target .22s...

Attachments

• Target22.jpg
    Target22.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 165
Very nice collection you have there, Downeaster. Many of my teammates used Aimpoints quite successfully. Having it shoot better than you can hold is good. WAY better is, unfortunately (*sigh*), the direction I'm headed.

Used to shoot competitively 20 years ago, these are my target .22s...

Nice! How'd you like the Buckmark?

I had a nice .22lr target pistol back before the ban in 97 . I only used it twice at the range because it had a nasty habit of turning full auto when you least expected it... which caused a little consternation at the firing line :D:D

I think it shot 10 rnds it had a long square barrel and a contoured plastic grip for your thumb and fingers ,grip magazine . I can't for the life of me remember the make unfortunately .:confused:

Nice! How'd you like the Buckmark?

That bull bbl-buckmark was acquired shortly after introduction, with a 1 1/2" in 25 yd guaranty. Had high expectations, but best was 1 3/4". Close examination of the barrel showed 3 annular rings in the bore, 1 within 1/4" of the crown. Dull production reamer. Thought about lapping it out.

Wrote Browning detailing the issue, and disappointment at not being able to use it competitively.
Their response: "Send it back, send it back, NOW!". Okay, sent it back. It came back in a few days (fast turnaround), I examined the bore, and found only one faint ring about 2" ahead of the chamber. They replaced the barrel.

Shot much better, best 3/4" on target ammo, got a couple trophys.

Had some large/bulky wooden olympic grips on it, still need some finessing, but finally found some smaller, more practical wooden finger-groove grips, as seen in the pic. Target grips for these are not cheap, hard to find.

Mechanically, a solid rig, sights/barrel/frame all locked solid, only the slide moves. Crisp rear sight solidly mounted on rail extension and frame tang, rectangular style front post can be rotated as necessary to fill the rear notch to your liking. Well balanced to center, reduces fatigue during 30 minute sessions. But, I must use modified weaver stance with pressure-wedge grip to reduce oscillations.

The steel slab-side version is more practical, utilitarian, but hard to find nowadays.

I feel like a gun salesman. Did I overdo it again?

I had a nice .22lr target pistol back before the ban in 97 . I only used it twice at the range because it had a nasty habit of turning full auto when you least expected it... which caused a little consternation at the firing line :D:D

I think it shot 10 rnds it had a long square barrel and a contoured plastic grip for your thumb and fingers ,grip magazine . I can't for the life of me remember the make unfortunately .:confused:

Could've been Colt, Hi-Standard, S&W? There's pics out there, might find it.

Weak/light sear springs and improperly setup disconnectors can do that full auto thing. Had setup one that would do double-taps, firing range owner liked it, useful for action pistol competition, but for safety reasons set it back to single shot...

Could've been Colt, Hi-Standard, S&W? There's pics out there, might find it.

Weak/light sear springs and improperly setup disconnectors can do that full auto thing. Had setup one that would do double-taps, firing range owner liked it, useful for action pistol competition, but for safety reasons set it back to single shot...

edit ....I think you hit the nail on the head with Hi Standard ! just got to find which model had an extended square barrel

Last edited:
I was in the local gun shop today spending way more money than I planned on when I walked in to 'look'. While they had plenty of .22LR there was a sign saying it was limited to 100rds at a time.

When I picked up my Marlin 60 a while back I grabbed a brick of .22 for $25, I did not look at what it was going for right now.

But I did pick up a sweet SW Mp 40 pro series Core... so much for just window shopping.

Most places around here are sold out of .40 9mm .357 and 22 most of the time now. I have been getting it off the web.

Back