1157 led

Atomic22, I also say don't waste your money on one like that... I have few of them in that style and never liked any of them enough to use them. Even ones of the same style with more led's than that one.

Guys thanks for the heads up on the light. :thumbsup:
I'm just getting into looking at led's for lights as I just got my PMA working.

I borrowed a bulb with just rear facing led's from a friend to try in my light and it was very poor. I think the led's around the sides of the bulb really make a difference as they hit the reflector and spread the light around more.

The problem I have with the "bulb" replacment is daytime riding. When one was tried 3 yrs ago you couldn't see it during the day. I want a light that will penetrate cell calls, text messages and loud music. I want one that screams look you're getting a new hood ornament if the binders aren't applied.

Good article blue. I could get 5 of those up the back of an 'ole K&Q.:wink2:
If I had K&Q seat.
I am planning on pluggin the end of the luggage rack tubes with these.
Triggered off the brake light only.
http://www.towmart.com/1-led-marker-light
And a 2" two circuit board for the turn signals that will have running and turn lights.
Since the stock plug was for two fixtures and the current LED replacement only uses one it shouldn't be too hard ah thing.

Has anyone seen the brake lights on some ambulances and tow trucks that blink really quick a couple of times as they come on then stay solid? It happens really fast almost like a stutter just to get your attention without being annoying. I'd like to figure out where to get a modulator like that.

They are in most of the after market catalogs. Most only work with the regular bulbs, not LED's.

hmm.. the ones I'm talking about will only work with LEDs. They flash 2 or 3 times in about 1/3 of a second then stay solid. Incandescent bulbs couldn't handle that.

There are so many blinking lights on that page that I can hardly read it. It says "Each time the Brake is applied the light blinks a few seconds & then stays on". I'm looking for something that will blink much faster than that and for a shorter time. As in, a blink rate of 10 times per second but only for 2 or three blinks then solid. I'm hoping the one I posted will do that.

Somewhere earlier in the thread it was mentioned to match a red LED with the red lens of the tail light (assuming you don't need any license plate lighting). Why is that? The white LED produces almost double the lumens. Using the 45 high power LED version on Superbright's site, the white produces 235 lumens to red's 165.

Thanks.
B.

^ I've read that before on other places too. Maybe the white led's are so white that it'll make the taillight look pink when lit? Maybe the warm white would be the way to go.

I kind of forgot about this thread... I bought both the 1157-R45-T and the 1157-R18-T and now wish I would have also bought a warm white one too so I could compare them all.

From what I can tell testing them both on my Zuma and FZ1, both make the taillight more red and the R18 is a little brighter than a regular 21/5w bulb and the 45 is even brighter than that. Plus they come on quicker and use less power. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Just saw that the warm white is only available in 1156. So forget that idea.

You may have noticed (or will) that LED light sources are very small and directional, not like the big bulb which floods & reflects in many directions then refracts through the prisms of a (red in this case) light housing.....therefore white LED's in a red prismatic plactic housing will still look quite like a bunch of bright white lights shining through the red plastic housing. Red colored LED's help with providing red colored light even though it's still more directional than reflected/refracted omni-directional flood light
which lights up the prismatic housing better.

So on that note, would the 1156 -A19 narrow beam (amber) be sufficient in a forward/rear facing turn signal w/ an amber lens? The next size up w/ 30 LEDs is 1.38" wide and is a tight fit

Really couldn't say regarding the relative fit of the different bulbs without knowing the comparative geometry involved?

My point was more to the effectivenes of match color LED to white LED's shining directly through a plastic lens.

The lense color only lets that color of light through. A red lense only lets redlight through. A white LED with 235 lumens behind a red lense will only let the red part of the white light through. That makes the lumens in the red part of the light very small. A 165 lumen red LED behind a red lense all it's light can shine through.
On the angle of the beam, a wider angle will be seen more to the side than a narrow beam. A wide beam won't be quite as bright straight behind as a narrow beam.
I think either will be bright enough. How well do you want to be seen from the side?

Back