16" Tyre options

adi1974

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey. I'm building a sort of street tracker and the base bike I have is a 78 special with 16in rear mags. I was looking for some tyres and I'm not really sure what options there are for the 16's.

I originally wanted the firestone classics like you see on the bratstyle bikes. I think you can get this for those 16" but not sure what size. Anyone know?

Then I started thinking about getting something a little more knobbly, like a semi off road. Kinda for a flat tracker style. I like the dunlop k180's but I dont think you can get those for the 16's.

what do you recommend people? I want them to look at least retro, not into modern looking tyres at all.

I guess the other option is to switch to an 18in rear rim. Should I???

I'd love to hear your thoughts. cheers

It's tough to find that kind of tire in a 16", as they are a wider rim and are really intended for straight-line cruising rather than off-road or even dual purpose use.

You might want to google for 16" trials tires, although I know they're going to be tough to find.

There's Dual Sport that comes in a 16" such as this: SHINKO 244

The narrower 18" rim will give you a lot more options and better response, and if you are going to switch to a non-cruiser tire you'll be eliminating all of the stability of the 16 anyway, so it's definitely something to consider.

Back